Thread: Dopplers anyone?

~Sarah~ Guest

Default Dopplers anyone?

Hey Gals....I'm thinking about getting a doppler. I didnt have one for my first two but I thought it might be nice for the soon to be big sisters to get in on the action.
    How much do you all use yours?
    Any brand recommendations would be great too!

I use my doppler weekly, and I LOVE IT!!!! I am so paranoid all the time and it reassures me that things are going along just fine. Helps me relax. I got it from ebay, but not sure what brand it is. It has the screen that tells you the heartbeat tho.
    Not much help am i ...

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Please do excuse me for one moment LOL I have to do my soapbox thingo here and just nicely nicely mention that dopplers can be worse than ultrasound so please don't use your dopplers all day everyday! Just the minimum you need to reassure yourself that all is okay. Doppler is like a continuous stream whereas ultrasound bounces back to give an image, so the minimal exposure you can have the better.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children

BellyBelly Birth & Early Parenting Immersion - Find out how to have a BETTER, more confident birth experience... guaranteed!
    Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know

~Sarah~ Guest

Thanks Belly Belly...I have been looking for research on side effects but all I could find are the manufacturer comments that say...I'ts great and you should use it twice a day!....But then again they would say that wouldn't they. LOL

Early on I would use my doppler every couple of days now I may use it once every couple of weeks, if Declan has been quiet for that day.

You can get some fairly cheap but good ones off ebay. The one I have is a first beats one.

Thanks for that info Kelly, I never knew that it was worse than an u/s with the waves etc...

Yeah.. we don't have a doppler.. feeling bubby kick is enuf to reassure me and DH. I did wonder what effect it had on the baby.. I've heard too that baby's move away from them coz they don't like it.. is that right?

I don't want to invade bubby's space too unnaturally.. I found a thing which helps amplify sounds from the outside so bubby can learn more in utero. But I think bubby's little habitat is designed just right as it is, and he'll hear all he needs to hear each stage. DH is being diligent reading to him every night so he knows his voice, but I wouldn't amplify it! Anyway.. sorry.. that went off topic 8-[

I think tho the wisest words are "everything in moderation"

angelique Guest

Hi Girls,

I have seen an ad in a parenting magazine that u can get a strap on machine from Target which lets you hear the heart rate of the baby and any momements. It says it poses no harm to the baby at all and comes with headphones for you and your spouse.

I was thinking about looking for that on the weekend and buying it as well as having my doppler as I am scared the doppler may hurt the baby.

Anyway, thought it was an interesting option and it is available at target too so everyone can buy one.

Let me know if anyone has used it and if it is good.

~Sarah~ Guest

I spose you could always try it and take it back if it doesnt work. Thats the good thing about getting it from a department store rather than mail order....That machine does sound like a better option though! Thanks angelique.

angelique Guest

Hi Sarah,

Just wanted to let you know I made a mistake on where to purchase the doppler. U actually get it from KMART, not Target!! Sorry about that heheheh. Also, It works after 21 weeks so u may want to purchase a doppler from ebay if you like, just for your own peace of mind.

Then again, you could try and get the one from Kmart and see if you can hear anything, u never know

Hi Sarah, just locking this thread as we've had another discussion on dopplersHERE recently. You can continue your discussions there