Thread: Eating cold shredded chicken frm sandwich bar

Default Eating cold shredded chicken frm sandwich bar

Hi,

11 weeks 5 days prega nd today i couldnt handle it anymore - i got a roll with cold shredded chicken (chicken breast ) and sald from a sandwich bar.. i have been hanging for something like this for the last 9 or so weeks... since i found out i was preggas.

MY CONCERN is the rules about eating stuff like this.... iti s froma reasonably reputable place, with a very high turn over..in customers SO i am wondering what your opinion is

SHOULD I HAVE ATE IT..

personally.... dont stress if you're feeling fine...
    i wouldnt do it often...its not recommended. The problem is with the meat being cooked and then getting cold.... perhaps you could ask them to microwave it till its steaming hot before putting it on your samij?
    im 35 and half weeks and no need to tell me about things i cant have....
    i have a massive list of all the things im dying to eat!!!! xmas ham, cold prawns, smoked salmon, cold bbq chicken, vanilla diet coke, sushi... o the list is never ending..
    But dont stress over once.
    take care.
    ps was it an awesome samij but?

YEAH IT WAS - IT WAS GREAt - but i got scared 3/4 through and ditched the rest .........LOL

I never even knew about half the things i wasn't supposed to be eating until, i joined BB.
    I never really stopped eating anything with Mya, except things like pate' and certain cheeses.
    I kinda think if u don't over do certain things it should be ok.
    I have stopped eating alot of other things this time round tho,it is good to know what to look out for

Yeah but it also gets frustrating too coz what you want you cant have.... BUT IT IF ANYTHING HAPPENED TO MY LITTLE ONE I WOULD NEVER FORGIVE MYSELF.

Meegm - just monitor yourself having eaten that sambo. Generally speaking anything like leftovers or meat that has been cooled must be eaten within 12 hours. The trouble is that you don't know when your deli made the chicken or how long it has been in their fridge. Listeria can and does live in fridges and transfers very easiliy from surface to surface. It is only killed by being heated to 75degrees centigrade for more than 2 minutes.

IT IS MORE THAN LIKELY THAT YOUR SAMBO WAS FINE - SO RELAX - BUT If you have any diarrhoea or vomiting in the next 3 weeks - cart yourself off for a blood test - it can be treated very easily if picked up.

IT IS EXTREMELY RARE for there to be listeria in cold food but it does happen. And if you are unlucky and do come down with listeria then there is a 50% chance of things being very very bad for your baby in utero. (This is according to the GOvernment's own website Food Standards Australia New Zealand).

I'm just avoiding everything because I just don't want to risk it. I'm like one of the other girls - I'm storing up a list of things I want to eat again after I stop breastfeeding. (oh - yes - the food avoidance thing has to keep going while you breast feed).
    Last edited by Kar; November 30th, 2006 at 03:22 PM.

I think you should be fine. I have been eating alot of things i shouldnt and i am perfectly fine and so is my baby. When i was preg with my DD i ate Anything i wanted.. Cold meats from the deli, the made up pasta from woolies, Everything. With my DS i did the same, its only since i started coming on BB i got worried. But i still have the odd naughty here and there.
    Jenni

Im regretting it a bit now

Meegm - try not to worry. As you can see from people like Jen - they've managed not to get listeriosis - and for centuries pregnant women ate this stuff all the time. It's a bit like the risk you'll get run over crossing the road. Unlikely. So relax and try not to worry.

Trying... Thanks....

From what i understand, getting run over is probably more likely, lol! I wouldn't stress. The occassional sandwhich from a reputable place with a high turn over is probably nothing to worry about. I didn't touch anything earlier in my pregnancy due to worry about literia but now I will get the occasional sanga from a sandwhich bar but i usually get it toasted so that it is heated. As long as you use common sense when eating and buying food i'm sure you will be fine.

I was really cautious to begin with too, but now I just need to eat so I eat..

I've been eating ham but I heat it up before I eat it.
    If I was to buy a sanga like that, i'd probably ask them to heat it up, as they say that kills the listeria bugs if there was any there.

Debbie Lee Guest

Eh... I've had the odd piece of deli meat. I even had fetta cheese in a salad the other day (tho it was the pre-packaged stuff not out of the deli).
    It's all precautionary warnings really. Best to not make a habit of it tho. Don't stress..

As for heating stuff up... only works if the food is heated to a certain degree. So... you can have bacon if it's cooked.. but toasting a s'witch probably wouldn't heat it up enough on the inside to kill the bacteria enough to be safe, iykwim?
    Last edited by Debbie Lee; November 30th, 2006 at 07:54 PM.

Thanks for the advice and opinions ladies........