Thread: ebay + Maternity Clothes

mae Guest

Default ebay + Maternity Clothes

Hey. A friend of mine is pregnant, only 12 weeks and the guy wants nothing to do with it...anyways!!!! She needs to start buying pregnancy clothes and she went the other day to the shop in town but its all too expensive for her. So I told her that she should look on ebay. She doesn't have an account or even a credit card (she's just18) and sice I do and I have a paypal account I said she could use mine. Shes coming over tonight and we're going 'shopping' lol I was just wondering if any of you have bought stuff off ebay. I've only bought one thing there a couple years ago. I've never bought clothes. Should I look for anything? Like should we only look at 'new with tags"? Theres lots of stuff thats REALLY cheap and Dawn was really excited about it because she figured she could buy more clothes for the really cheap..but I'm a little weary of new tops that cost like $.99...I don't know. I feel like I'm helping her but i'm so scared that she's going to endd up getting ripped off. ...

gah! I always right too much

thanks for any help
    Mae, the rambler lol

A friend of mine has bought lots of clothes on ebay. She has got stuff that she's seen in shops the season before and things like that. All I would do is check the seller's ratings and feedback.

I agree that you should definately check their feedback and make sure it is really high, like 98-100%.
    Also ask for addition photos of the item if you wish to see more details...
    A lot of sellers start their auctions at 99c, because its cheaper for them to do so, and people are more likely to bid. So if you can pick something up so cheap then its great luck for you!
    Also make sure you are aware of how much you have to pay for postage, as sometimes that can be more that what you pay for item itself.

Goodluck, I hope you get some bargains!

I agree about the feedback too, but I got quite a bit of stuff off ebay for only a couple of dollars. I just couldn't justify paying huge dollars in the shops - we needed to eat more! Just narrow the search to baby and maternity and down the left hand side you can put in a figure that's the most you want to search for.
    Start at .99c and you'll be surprised.
    Have a great time.

mae Guest

Question

thanks y'all! We'll check out the rating for sure, I didn't even think of that. Hopefully she can get some good deals...and I'll take notes and maybe this is what I'll do when I'm pregnant too. If the things are cheap enough then I won't minid paying a little extra on postage..but if we can find things in Canada and don't have to pay as much postage that'd be a bonus.

Dawn just called me a little bit ago and was super excited!!! We're making a whole girls nite of it...junk food, chickflicks, fruit smoothies (no alcohol = ) ). Maybe I'll send her your guys site =) This is all new to her and I know she's scared even if she acts excited...

ohya, and just one more question..about sizing. I think she tried some stuff on at the shop to get an idea for sizing already but I'll ask anyways. Do you buy maternity clothes according to your pre-preg size? Shes a very tiny girl, about 5'5, 110lbs (like 50 kgs...thats what you go by in Australia and UK right?) so should we look for size XS-S or should we go a size bigger? I've never shopped for mat.clothes so i have no idea..lol Thanks =)

It really depends with sizing... some people can put on a lot of extra weight in their pregnancies (like me) which changes their size completely, - whilst for others it goes straight to their belly!
    If she is 12 weeks and hasnt gained much as yet, perhaps she wont put on too much 'excess' weight anyway. I'd stick to the size small's, but maybe not any smaller than that just to be safe? I would say that unless you put on more weight than average, that the maternity clothes are fine in your pre-preg size...

I recently got some maternity clothes off ebay too. They were second hand, but I got a pair of jeans and a pair of 3/4 pants for $10 each. I don't mind that they were second hand cause they looked to be in good nick (and they were) and I don't want to spend a lot of maternity gear this time round if I can help it. Check out the actual Ebay shops - most of them will have 'buy it now' and you wont have to wait for auctions to end either. One plus with your friend being a petite size is that it will be easier to get clothes, as most women fall into the mid sizes I have found when watching auctions. Another option is for her to get a belly belt so she can wear her normal clothes for as long as possible too. Good Luck with it all!

mae Guest

I don't think she'll put on much weight, but what do i know? lol Thanks for all y'alls help with this. Theres so many things I wouldnt even think of!having never bought mat clothes or bought off ebay. Appreciate the kindness! Mae

...and whats a bellybelt? Is it those wide elastic things?

Yep, just a stretchy bit of fabric you can put over the top of your pants/skirts so you cna leave the buttons/zips undone. You can get them on ebay too and they are cheap as chips.

mae Guest

heehee....you guys have funny sayings...cheap as chip...in good nick...its neat how you guys say things the same but different

mae Guest

We had so much fun last night! We bid on soo many clothes and as of this morning we'd won 3 long ****fs (all less than 5$) 2 tanks tomps (99cents for the pair) 1 blue jeans with rhinestones on the pockets, very cute ($1.79) 1 black jeans (6.99$ our most expensive item) 2 pairs of track pants, brown with pink accents ($1.99 each) and 2 really really cute dresses -because she needs one to wear to my wedding and we didn't know if she'd win them but she got both (they were $ 4.01 and $5.12). Postage on most the things was only a couple dollars, and since some of the things were from the same vendor theres a discount. We also bought 2 belly belts on the 'buy it now', one black and one tan. We looked at baby clothes but didn't buy anything--but i'm sure thats the first place she'll try, but after she finds out the sex.
    anyways...thanks for all your help!!!
    we're still waiting to see about some other items that don't end for a couple days...and most the stuff hasn't been bid on again yet..so we'll see!

Sounds like you and your friend had a great time last night Mae. Great shopping!

Snook Guest

Check the seller's feedback and rating. I have a limit - 99.8% positive. Any lower than that and I don't buy from that seller - even if I really want the item. I also don't buy from overseas. My hubby has and has never had a problem but I'm not ready to go there yet