Thread: Echogenic Focus left ventricle - HAS NO ONE HEARD OF THIS???????

Question Echogenic Focus left ventricle - HAS NO ONE HEARD OF THIS???????

Sorry, may sound desperate but has no one heard of Echogenic Focus on the babies ventricle???? I really need some reasurance or talk to someone else who's baby had this at 20 week or later scan!!

Flossie - sorry I have never heard of this before. Have you googled it to get more information??? I hope someone can help you soon!

Hi Floss

I responded to you in our belly buddies thread as well, but maybe you need to call the Ob and have him explain it to you again to give you a bit more info and I would definitely be googling it as that should bring give you something. I wish I could help you more. Best of luck.

Jem

Do you mean ventricle of the heart or ventricle of the brain??? It will help to narrow down a google search.

I think it is on the heart.

Echogenic foci within the left ventricle of the heart have been found in a minority of fetuses and generally are believed to be a normal variant. The cause and exact location of these foci have remained speculative, however.

I found this from a google search. It is from a journal of ultrasound. Just type in echogenic left ventricle of the heart and it is the first article. I hope this helps. Unfortunately I have no personal experience to add.

Thanks everyone,

I really just looking for someone else on BB who has had this happen to them. I have googled and found a lot of things but also found its related to D/S and I know my OB is not worried but I guess I just need to speak to people and hear their stories but no-one on BB seems to have had this happen to them.

I know Jellybean's heart is the size of my thumb nail, this echogenic dot is the size of a grain of sand. I remember saying to the u/s lady what was that white spec on the heart can't really remember what she said.

I guess i am just worried about there being more or it getting bigger or other things happening down the track.

Paranoid I know.

My DD had this at the 20 week scan. It was gone by the time she was born and didn't affect her in any way. You will probably get a follow up scan for it. The thing they worry about with it is downs syndrome. But i think thats only if they find something else with it. For eg, DD had an echogenic focus and only a 2 vessel umbilical cord(theres meant to be 3) so i had another scan just to rule out downs. Needless to say, she's a perfectly healthy 2 year old. Usually it is gone by the time they are born, if not then by the time they are 5 i think.

Oh thanks Tegan!

So glad your DD is healthy too!

My OB didn't mention D/S to us during our appt yesterday, I only found that it was related when looking on the internet, so I guess that is a good sign that he didn't mention D/S meaning that nothing else they saw in the u/s could lead to D/S.

Thanks again! I hope at the 32 weeks scan that it has gone away and Jellybean is fighting fit and ready to meet us!!!

Floss xx

*hugs* I am sure everything will be ok. If you ob wasnt too worried then everything should be perfect with your little jellybean!!

Isabeau Guest

I had this on my scan report I read it and got so worried and didn't know what the hell it meant

at my midwife app. the midwife didn't even say not to worry or anything she just read me the report like I was 3.

I havn't had bubs yet (2 weeks & counting) so I can't say definitely my baby's fine

but know that you're not the only one