Thread: EDD question

Default Can you help me with my EDD?

OK, this is a long and rambling question, so I apologise in advance!

When I fell pg this time around I hadn't had a regular AF since it returned after having DS2 & b'feeding. My cycles ranged from 24 days to 32 days so it made it hard to know this bub's EDD. I came up with an EDD of the 23rd of August because I'm pretty sure I know when I O'd (I had O pain, but I wasn't charting/temping). I had a dating scan at around 8 weeks and was given an EDD of the 28th of August, I thought this was really odd and when we saw the u/s film afterwards, you can actually see the sonographer didn't measure the whole bub so I was a bit skeptical. I settled on an EDD of the 25th of August because if I'd had a run-of-the-mill 28 day cycle like I used to, then that would be my EDD.

THEN I had my 12 week scan and was given an EDD of the 20th of August! I know they can be out by a couple of days so I don't think it could be that early. The OB I saw at the hospital was inclined to go with the date I got at that 12 week scan. I told him to please record the 25th as my EDD because I don't want to be induced before I need to (I tend to go overdue, but have never been induced). Luckily he accepted my date, but still told me to book my 20 week scan based on being due on the 20th (Yay, I get to go earlier than expected LOL!).

But what I really want to know is, what is my EDD? LOL! I know it isn't all that important and bub will get here when he/she gets here, but I am one of those people who likes dates, facts and figures. I am finding out the gender of the bub at 20 weeks because I like to know stuff! I will keep pushing for the later dates if I go overdue with this bub, but I want to know just for myself IYKWIM.

How accurate is dating done at 12 weeks? Could my bub just be big? Should I tell myself that I'm due on the 23rd (which is what my gut feeling is)?

Sorry for such a stupid question, but I'll just sleep better at night knowing my EDD ROFL!

Good question! My EDD according to my LMP is 14 September. My EDD at my 10 week scan was 19 September and then my NT scan (at 13+4) was bang on 14 September. So I'm sticking with 14th.

I'd be inclined to stick with your original guess of 23 August - right in the middle!

I would stick with the 25th hun. According to my scans my EDD is actually the 18th, but I was charting and I have shown my MW my charts so she is happy to go with my O based date. I would be more inclined to stick with when you think you Oed rather than a scan date.

I have no idea but I'm in the same boat! I vaguely remember thinking I was o'ing because I had ewcm but didn't write it down or remember the date or anything because well, we didn't think I could fall prg!

I've been given EDDs based on scans anywhere from 21 to 25th July. I have no idea but the past 3 or 4 scans have been consistent with 21st.

The only reason I care at all to be honest is I always go over too and don't want any pressure to be induced (and my ob won't) but I'm a bit nervous about them potentially letting me go 14 days over, which could actually be 17 or 18 iykwim? I'm not comfortable with 18 days over.

It's weird not knowing, with DS being IVF our dates were rock solid obviously and even with DD I pretty much could work it out cause we were on our honeymoon and I remembered the days etc.
    Last edited by Willow; March 19th, 2009 at 02:55 PM.

My EDD based on ovulation (was charting, temping) is 19/09/09 - at a dating scan at 6 weeks, I was given 20/09/09 (my own birthday) then had a scans at the Obs office (more than usual cause of bleeds) but EDD has gone through the following 18/09/09, 17/9/09, 21/09/09 and then at 12 weeks scan was given 16/09/09.

I am sticking with the 19/09/09!

Thanks everyone! Yeah, I'm inclined to go with when I O'd which makes an EDD of the 23rd of August (it coincidentally happens to be my birthday, but I go late so I'm sure this bub won't gatecrash LOL). I feel the most comfortable with this date.

Taurean - It seems like the later scan was more acurate for you to

Alioops - That's great your m/w is happy to go with your own dates, I think so many OBs get caught up with LMP dates and 28 day cycles!

Willow - It must be so hard this time! I am telling the hospital the 25th so I don't get pushed into induction, but like you I feel nervous about being wrong an being more overdue than they think. I guess we can request monitoring towards the end?

tk1999 - You definitely sound like you're due on the 19th!

Trish, lets hope that both bubs don't gate crash our birthdays!

Ha ha! Yep, that would just be plain rude LOL!

My boys birthdays are a day apart, I hope the same thing doesn't happen with this bub and I!

lol - I already share my birthday with several family members and about 3 people that I have worked with... my brother's birthday is the 23rd Sept - he has said he will gladly share his birthday... I said that is fine cause I already share mine with too many people

Seems lots of people are due in september nothing to do with christmas and new years 9 months before I am sure!

Anyway back to the topic. With my first dd i had a scan at 6w1d due to prior m/c and she measured right on. So we never changed my due date. I'd been on the pill for about 7 years prior to first preg and then got preg again almost straight away. Before the pill i'd had 31 day cycles but they were about 28 days the few times i got them after going off it so i think my due date was either the 4th august or 1st aug one was done by doc and other by ob. I didn't have another scan till 14wks by which stage she was about a day or two bigger than av.

This time i have been given a due date of 30 june. My 12wk scan measured the baby about 4days ahead but there's no dicussion of changing my due date. which i found funny cause a friend of mine had hers moved for a 4 day dif. guess it depends on the doc.

BTW at my 19wk scan the baby now measures 1 full week ahead. Though i know they wouldn't change the date then.

They really only get funny about dates if the baby is early it seems. I was reasked my lmp date when my dd was in the nursery and they reccalculated her age based on that to verify how old she was. A friend had a similar experience in that she went at about 34wks. Since she didn't knwo she was preg and didn't find out despite testing being done until 13wks her due dates varied siginificantly and were changed at just about every appointment. She ended up with a two week period of possible due dates and the hosp took the latest due date when the baby made it's unexpected arrival to be on teh cautious side. In the end they were probaby wrong cause he spent 2wks there and was good to go. His mum is tiny so it shoudl have been expected he would be on teh smaller side.