Thread: edema

Default edema

Hi Lovelies,

Ok, it is impossible for any pregnant woman to get through Summer without some sort of edema and the associated skin stretching. I find it intolerable by the end of the day! My hands and feet are the worst but my hands feel gross - all dry and tight. Anyone got any ideas on how to alleviate the tight stretchy feeling? I've tried moistureiser but that just makes it worse!!!!!!!!!!!1

MG

I've found almond oil better than moisturiser and rather than rubbing it into my hands towards the tips, rub back towards my elbows - twoards the heart for lymphatic/circulatory stimulation. The joints in my hands hurt too from the swelling and I'm finding it hard to open tight jars and so on.

Hopefully mine will resolve itself very shortly but I'm thinking of all you girls who have to get through the next few months of heat.

I read your post and didn't see edema, I saw "enema" Hope it doesn't get to that!!!

Sometimes a bath is nice - you can get different bath oils too which might help. Just make sure there's no essential oils in there which aren't so good for pregnancy.

I find oil works better than moisturiser as well. Make sure you're drinking lots. I'm about to buy some icypole moulds this week as sometimes I get sick of water and I figure they'll be nice to have to keep my fluids up and cool me down.

Great idea Sasha. I just put some juice in icypole moulds in the freezer for tomorrow!

Oo, yum. Didn't think about making my own ice blocks - how lovely.
    Of course here is the most non-practical solution for ankle/foot swelling - keep your ankles above the level of your heart... I spose it gives you an excuse to do absolutely nothing all day

Thanks for your replies girls; I;ll have to give the oil a go! I've done the whole elevation thing and also cold compress - did nothing for mine! My feet don't bother me too much - it's just the icky feeling on my hands!
    I drink heaps of water every day (we "pre-load" in summer for the fire brigade and I'm still doing it out of habit I think). I hear you on water getting boring! I have organges chopped up into bits in the freezer to snack on. Yum!

It's another scorcher here today but I hope you lovelies don't suffer too much. I'm going to hide in the a/c I think...

catherine Guest

My feet are ridiculous now. I sat in a salt bath for about 45 mins yesterday.....no change. I had to go to a wedding in the Yarra Valley last night and I just wanted the swelling to go down a little so I could squeeze into some shoes! All very glamorous!

I was hospitalised because of this late in my pg. But it was my whole left leg and right foot. I mean even the thigh. Thank God it was in winter and I could wear my jeans and trckies everywhere because it was ugly, lol. I had a leg like an elephant. You could stick your finger in and the hole would stay there. Eeew - big hugs to you girls and I hope the next few weeks pass quickly and effortlessly.