Thread: Engaged at 31 weeks?

Melb - where my coolness isn't seen as wierdness

Default Engaged at 31 weeks?

Hi all,

I know someone posted about this a while ago, but I am going to ask again.

This morning, when I woke up, I noticed that my belly had dropped. It was so obvious that not only did DH notice without me having to say anything, but the guy who sits next to me at work noticed it too!

Since about 5am this morning, I've been going to the loo every hour. It constantly feels like my bladder is overfull, and there is quite some pressure between my legs.

I'm almost 100% certain bub's head has engaged. I'm a little worried because I am only slightly over 31 weeks on and this is my forth baby.

I expected that, like when I had Zaki, the baby wouldn't engage until just before labour, so am wondering what it means if bub has engaged so early this time.

Please tell me not to worry and that this happens all the time. I've been surfing the net (norty! I know!) and a lot of info seems to suggest it may mean early labour. I've gone full term with all three prev pgs.

I want to call my obs (his office opens in an hour) but before I do, was hoping someone could help with some info, so I don't look like a total tool when I call him.

love
    sushee

I wouldn't worry too much. With Lily she engaged at only 28 weeks and i was a week overdue. I know its different for first bubs but that was still very early, i had the midwives worried lol.

At this stage Sushee, bubs could just as easily dis-engage again. I wouldn't worry about it, but it won't hurt to ask your ob about it either. A friend of mine had her bubs engage right down into the birth canal from 33wks and she went over by 10days. Mind you she waddled like a duck for the rest of her pg and when she was induced by ARM, she gave birth in 1hr.

Hey Sushee,
    I have heard that in any subsequent pg's, bubs can enagage and disengage again just as easily... so hopefully it doesnt mean anything, and bubs wont be staying that low for your remaining 9 weeks- as it cant be very comfortable for you!

Hello girls and thanks for your responses.

Ambah and sherieb, I actually have felt bub engaging and disengaging for a few weeks now, but this feels different. It feels lodged, IYKWIM. My tummy used to come out from straight under my bbs, and now it's tear dropped shaped!

Anyhoo, I just spoke to Dr and he said that while he wasn't overly worried, he wasn't going to disregard it either. As I didn't engage until late with my 2nd and 3rd pgs, he thinks that maybe I should pack my hospital bags tonight JIC as it may be an indication I could go early. Bubs is a little porker (measuring at least 3 weeks ahead in size) so he thinks that it could be planning on arriving a little earlier than anticipated.

But he also reassured me that it's just as likely I will go to full term and even over! I have an appt with him next week and he'll check baby's position again, though he reckons by the sounds of it, bub has in fact engaged.

I finish work at the end of the week, which he's pleased about, and he wants me to take things a real easy from now on. No more long walks for me! And DH reckons he's going to curb the crazy nesting I've been doing. Dr also wants me to time my BHs from now on, and if I'm even slightly concerned, to go straight into the maternity ward to get checked out.

So that's it. I hope, like your stories, girls, I do go full term and this is just a lttle bit of excitement in my otherwise dull life! Lol!

love
    sushee

I wonder if you could do the same exercises as when trying to turn a breech bub. Hips up and head down - theory being to try and get bub out of the pelvis so it can turn the right way. Maybe you could do it just to get bubs head out of the pelvis? I've no idea if that would be recommended or not tho! LOL.

Good luck! hope bubby doesn't come too early for you!

Both of my boys were engaged around 30wks and never disengaged. They stayed there until they were born. Both being born 2wks early but that was cause of other complications in the pregnancy therefore being induced.

Love

Lol! about being bum up, head down! I don't know if it'll work, but you gotta wonder!

It's great hearing stories about going to term. I think my worry came from having text-book pgs previously where I engaged late and then had 2 out of 3 bubs on their EDDs, and one only 3 days early. But I also know every pg is different, and this is probably absolutely nothing to worry about. Dr even joked that he'll bet me that I'll get to term!

So in the meantime, I'll just take advantage of his advice and relax, take it easy and enjoy my last tri before the chaos starts once baby arrives! Lol!

love
    sushee

Oh, if thats the case Sushee, I'd pack my bags too, just to be on the safe side.