Thread: Engaged at 31 weeks, Im really worried!!

Default Engaged at 31 weeks, Im really worried!!

Hello there,

I have just been to my obstetrician who told me that the baby is engaged and that my cervix isnt as tight as it should be, he told me that its like the cervix of a woman that has had two or three kids already.
    He also said that i have about 5 weeks maximum to go. I dont want to have my baby too early and im really worried that im going to have a really premmie baby.
    Is there anything that i can do?

Im really worried!!

Also is it normal to have a bit of blood after an internal?

I have never had an internal whilst preg other than when having my M/C..
    But I am guessing if he played around in there it could cause bleeding!?

Um, I have always been told I'll go early & have noth times gone exactly 1 week over!
    Babies can become engaged & disengaged so dont panic, baby will come when he/she is ready.....

Trying to rest & relax is best, dont worry!!!

lucysmummie Guest

Hey chook dont stress I posted on ur belly buddy thread.

and its pretty normal for blood after an internal but Im sure the rest of the ladies can help on the labour part...

I was halfway engaged at 36 weeks & wound up being induced 16 days post EDD.... sometimes they move up & down during the last part of pregnancy. The best thing is to rest & not do alot of lifting or movement. Keep your feet up.

It is completely normal to bleed after an internal as well *hugs*

mizzsocial Guest

No matter how good of a doctor they are, i really do not belive that someone can predict when a baby will be born, so please dont stress when he tells you , you have 5 weeks MAX before your bub is born!!!!

Yes its normal to have some spotting after an internal, but if it continues then defienlty get it checked..

Can i ask, why did he do an internal if you are only 31 weeks?

Mizzsocial, he said that he had to check that there wasnt too much pressure on my cervix because the baby was so low. he said that my cervix isnt as tight as it should be so he doesnt think it will hold (or something along those lines)

He also said that i shouldnt be getting the amount of Braxton Hicks that im getting. (im getting heaps)

im really worried now.

DF might be getting sent away for work for two weeks so now im really stressing cause i might go into labour while he is away!

Dee, try to stop stressing, because that wont be doing you any good...

Can your DF, discuss the situation with his work?

They do really come when they want to... OB's guessing is what it is... there is no 100% guarantee answer...
    He is saying in his experience etc, etc.... But taht doesnt mean your not an individual & bubs might not want to come out yet!!!

So try to relax!

Dee, try and relax as much as you can and just take it easy. Rest if you can. I'm sure he cant predict when your baby will come, but just make sure you have everything ready - it will put your mind at ease.

Dee - When i was pregnant with Lily she engaged at only 28 weeks and stayed there until she was born, she never disengaged. Yet i had to be induced 1 week over. She was fully engaged for 3 weeks before she was born(ouch!) So that really is no indication bub will come early at all. I was also getting a lot of braxton hicks, some lasting for 3 or more hours at a time and were close in intensity as actual labour was. So I wouldn't worry. Bub will come when s/he is ready to!

Dee- My son James was like Tegans baby Lily... he engaged at 28 weeks... and i was told by my ob that i would have him early, and that he would only be a little baby... he was a week late, and weighed 9lbs 7oz

then, when i had my daughter Madeleine, she didnt engage until the day before i went into labour with her !!! the same ob told me she would be huge (considering James' birth weight) and that i would have to have a c section with her... she was 7lbs 9ozs and a week early... the opposite of her brother, Born completely naturally.

Basically... Ob's, as much as they know, can very often be wrong. Please, try not to get too worried about it... your precious bubba will come when he/she is ready

Lisa

Hi Dee

Try not to stress. It is normal to have some blood after an internal. I think that some of these obstetricians are put on this earth just to scare women. Some babies can engage very early in pregnancy, this is common if it is not your first baby. And you can still go past your due date. As for him saying that you have 5 weeks maximum to go well he should perhaps get a job as a mystic in a circus and predict the future for people. Your cirvix will never be as tight as it was before you had your first baby, we call it a 'multi os'.