Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Enlighten me please

ok she doesnt know how long we have been trying for this baby. She has taken all of her pregnanies for granted and her children have been "accidents". theres the first difference.

Im not sitting on the couch wrapped in cotton wool but im certainly not looking for risks.

thanks everyone for your replies.

Danni, I can understand where you are coming from. We have all had different experiences while we are pg and it is only natural that you want to protect that little baby inside you. I probably wouldn't do the water skiing again, but it is not something I would even have attempted had I not already been experienced at it.

Do what feels right for Danni and you will be OK.

motherduck Guest

With #2 we had a full on summer at the lake water skiing, I can't ski anyway only biskit so I stoped that for a summer and drove the boat instead,The last trip we did that summer I was three weeks off my due date the worst bit was trying to get comfy at night.
    Most people know their limits if your body say yes then I see no reason to stop its each to thier own.

Kirsty77 Guest

I personally would never do anything risky. I just errr on the side of caution. It took us along time to get pregnant with Gemma and there was NO WAY i was doing anything like water skiing!

Everyones different though and I know it has been a long bumpy road for you guys ttc Danni and you'd expect that you'd be cautious!

Danni - Listen. You've waited a long time for this precious little baby, and I completely understand that you would never do anything to put it's life in harms way. Do what you think is right for you and the baby. If you do that, that's all you need to know.

Love Celsie. xoxox

shar Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Fi
    I agree with your sister - but we are all different and our acceptance of risk is different.
    Generally the rule is you shouldn't do anything that you weren't doing before you fell pregnant with regards to exercise.
    But Im a kickboxer and we regularly get kicked in the stomach (behind a kick sheild of course but you still feel it). This concern me as when we start TTC I would be worried about injury but I dont want to stop if Im not pregnant Just sticking my two cents anyway cause Im no expert

Check my previous post but until the second trimester the uterus is in the pelvis and protected by the pubic bone. Women manage to do many amazing things before they know they are pregnant with no adverse outcomes.

Danni - when we take so long to get the baby we desire and are on the verge of IVF etc we are bound to be more cautious. Whatever you choose to do will be the right thing for YOU and that is the only person who matters. If people say you can do X but you don't want to just say yes I know I can but I choose not to. Not everyone will understand your position but that is their problem.

Danni, Just adding we are goin to the gold coast in November and im not cancelling it, im not a big ride person anyway but remember this may be the last time in a long while before you get to holiday alone with DH, you should go if not to just relax and enjoy each other's company, its not all about the rides, there is lots to do!!!! think about it hun!!

Danni, I have to butt in too. I do believe that miscarriages can happen with you doing the whole "perfect" resting thing and, although MiL is convinced hers occurred after moving a nest of tables, I managed to help fit a bathroom when I shouldn't have been. Although I wouldn't recommend it!

I also still do the odd bit of running, although no more hi-impact aerobics or kick-boxing exercises (not even against other people, just the exercises); but bear in mind I found out at 7w5d and at 7w4d was doing sit-ups because I thought I was putting on a little bit of fat around my stomach and still doing all my exercises.

However, that's my comfort zone. I would say DON'T take up things like running or aerobics if you don't already do them and it's your pregnancy, you decide what to do.

I ruled out horse-riding and skiing as soon as I found out (and still went to Austria!), other people may not have but I didn't want to take too many risks. If you're not comfortable going running, then don't. The stress you'd feel over the running is probably just as bad as anything else you can throw at the baby, so sit back and chill all you want. My DH would be wrapping me in cotton wool a lot more if he could, I know that, but I also know what my body's saying to me and pay attention to that: I'm sure all women do the same!

Hi,

There is absolutely no way i would do any of those things either.

Danni, basically to your SIL - you do what you are comfortable with. I'm sure you're not just lying around going "ooh I'm pregnant I can't do a single thing" but at the ohter extreme I'm sure you weren't planning on jetskiing either! Do what you feel comfortable with - if that's just gentle walks, watching what you eat & enjoying every second of it, DO IT! Sadly as soon as you fall pregnant everyone is an expert & you'll be stuk with oodle of unwanted advice like this.

LOL, I've fallen over helping at my church youth group playing a game, I'm just too competitive! (I did win the game I fell over in though)

My dr said no to bike riding, but that's because I'd only got my bike for Christmas (concieved early Jan) and my skills were definately at a level that put me at risk I don't think I'd really ridden since year 8?

Honestly, ditto to what everyone else has said. The baby is pretty well cushioned in there, but that's no invite to take up Russian Stick Fighting (okay, I just made that sport up). Just do what you're comfortable with, and check with your dr or something if you're not sure what's safe.
    All the best!

I agree with Sarah - I'd tell your sil to #@!* off!! hehehe.

I'm very protective of my belly as soon as I find out I'm p/g and I think whether you've accidentally conceived or it's taken 2y as soon as you have the knowledge that your p/g you would do anything to protect your baby.

In all of those sports you listed you have the potential to really hurt yourself and therefore harm your baby. I wouldn't be doing any of them.

I do respect everyone elses responses though in which they've done some sports etc because they were experienced and very comfortable in that sport.

Don't let her make you feel bad about it! (sounds like a very troublesome sil to me...)

Danni,

Your SIL has to remember that this is your pregnancy and you decide what's OK and where the boundries are.

I'm only about a week ahead of you and my little bub is already making us change our next 2 holiday plans (SCUBA in the Carribean in October and Skiing over new year). I would never risk having a fall at 5 months and rupturing something trying a tough run but with diving, there's no eveidence that it can harm an unborn baby, they have no air cavities after all, but there's not been any research in the area either, so it's better to be safe than sorry and just snorkel the reefs.

Pregnancy is only 9 months of your life (per baby) so how hard is it to sit out a few of the riskier activities for that time and resume them in the future....geez I'm going to miss diving!!!!

I think each women should do what she thinks is best for her - and be informed of course as well. I know most men and women think I am mad when I tell them I continued to run almost every day up until my son was born - I also lifted light weights, and cycled and swam a bit too. But I am a very fit athlete and although I did not run any marathons I was comfortably able to run 6 days a weeks up to 80kms a week - of course this was down to maybe 30kms by the time I was 36 weeks pregnant. I also did a 5km 'fun run' when I was 35 weeks in a very resonable time and felt just fine - much to the disbelief of spectators.

I gave birth to a very healthy little boy. I took care of myself and IF I EVER felt I was starting to overheat or just too out of breath, I stopped and walked.

10 days after giving birth I was ready to start slowing running again. It is just a part of my lifestyle - I am a competitive athlete. Now I have discovered triathlons and our home is a typical triathlete one - bikes parts everywhere, swim gear hanging in the shower constantly, windtrainer in the spare room, smelly running clothes ready to be washed EVERY DAY as well as the constant question from my son ' are you sweaty again mum?'
    and I would not have it any other way!!

I wouldnt do anything that i didnt do before.I was riding a bike but i stopped around 4months as i did get the bit of the guilts and it was hard with DD on a bike seat on the back.She'd wriggle and then id get the wriggle ups!!

Hi Danni - I agree with the othe girls, it is your body and baby, not your SIL, so tell you where to go (possible where the sun doesn't shine??)
    I have it a little different to the others, whereby I am restricted to activity from the word go.
    (I wont go into detail, but have had alot of trouble with all past pregnancies with going into preterm labour, and bleeding etc) But that is just me, and it has been restricted on my obgyn's orders.
    I can still exercise, but only the gentler options like walking, swimming etc without problems, but kicking the ball around the backyard with the kids, and running about, have all had to slow right down , as I get pain, and get really short of breath already.
    As long as it is your regular excercise, and you feel comfortable, making sure you are well hydarated regularly, there should be no problem. However, I would really think hard about wether you are willing to risk anything that is body contact.
    You know what you are comfortable with in your heart, so dont take your SIL too much to heart hun.

Trust your instincts and listen to your body, recognising your own abilities. My last horse ride was at 27 wks. I know my own horse, I rode in a fenced arena, stopped jumping, no paddock rides (cos less controlled environment) and only stopped then because I then diagnosed SPD - mounting and dismounting became untenable, but had I been lifted on I would have been fine! My belly wasn't very big and never got in the way.
    My point is that on some level you ought to know when you've reached your limits for you and the baby.
    I copped a lot of flak for turning out to a car accident with my fire brigade because I was about 7 months pregnant. I had stayed home for other jobs and figured that if there weren't enough members there to crew a truck (it was Easter Sunday) then I'd get on and be of some sort of use. I actually did a couple of things at the scene that were non-physical and often overlooked aspects of car accidents (offering counselling to witnesses), and the knockers were all people who weren't at the scene to judge my suitability for the job anyway. The crew on the truck all said that they weren't worried because they figured if I felt up for it, who were they to judge unless I was being reckless?
    Listen to yourself - and trust what you hear!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12