Thread: Excercise & PG

Default Excercise & PG

Hi Ladies,

I am not pg yet! (Will find out this weekend tho!!) but just wondering if too much exercise during early pg would cause any problems??

At the moment, I go to the gym 4 days a week, 1 day I do a cycle class and another day I do a weights class and I also use all the equipment in the normal gym area. And I dont just go light either.. I like to have a good workout and get my hearting pumping!

Should you be careful during the first trimester or is it more towards the end that you need to be more careful? I know that this is something that I can discuss with my dr but not pg yet so just after other peoples opinions!

TIA

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Did you read this post I just put up? http://www.bellybelly.com.au/forums/...ad.php?t=22676

If you already are exercising that much (I am jealous!) it should be fine, as you were already doing it. You can always just confirm with your doctor if you are unsure!
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

Hey Kelly, just had a look at the article, but still have been meaning to ask. When they say if you are already doing exercise then it's fine, how long does it have to be. What I mean is I have only just started playing soccer & if I was to fall pregnant soon () would 4-5 games of soccer be enough for it to be ok to continue?

Nope, didnt read that! I will now tho.. thanks

Well I have been exercising like this for nearly 2 yrs! Thanks! I will keep at it then and if I do get the bfp then I will ask my dr or the trainers at the gym how much is too much

There are a lot of pg women at my gym who have continued their workouts right up until they were due... (and they are such an inspiration!)
    Most pg women I know there have had to slow down their pace a little bit though after about the 20week mark... This is probably a good thing, because your heart has to beat harder/more blood when you are pg, so it becomes easier to overexert yourself as your baby is growing bigger inside you.

3 main things to be careful with are:
    Weights - because pg hormones relax your ligaments making you more prone to injuring or pulling something.
    Also stomach excercises, such as crunches etc... just check with your gym instructor as to what stage of pregnancy you should stop doing them. I have heard you need to stop the stomach excercises pretty early on in pg.
    Also be careful not to overheat too much...

Because you have been excercising for so long though, I really wouldnt be too worried, and would just follow your own body cues.

Goodluck!

Thanks for the info Ambah! I've only seen one pg lady at my gym since I have been going there!

I guess I will just keep going as I am and as soon as I know that I am defiently pg, then I will lesson my weights and I guess I will stop doing sit ups!! LOL I think thats going to be the worse part cause I love my tummy!! But its all worth it when you know there is a bubba growing inside

Ngala, sorry to see you didn't conceive this cycle, but if it makes you feel any better I was doing sit-ups at 8w... I think because I'm so used to having a flat stomach I noticed the first tiny bulge very early (7w), before I even knew I was pg! So don't worry if you find out and did sit-ups the night before as I did, you'll probably not be as far along as I was when you find out!

I would still be doing aerobics now if I physically could - the only thing stopping me is the baby on a nerve in my back - but your gym instructors should be able to give you some advice as to how to modify your workout.

Hi Ryn,

Yes AF decided to sneek up on my this afternoon!

I am going to make sure that I check with the gym instructor when I finally do get pg as I want to still continue going to the gym for as long as I can.