Thread: Excuses for not drinking

Default Excuses for not drinking

I am having some friends over for dinner on saturday night and fear that they are going to catch on to why I am not having a wine (which I usually do with them). I am not sure that I am ready to tell them as we haven't even told our family yet and feel that we should be telling family rather than friends first.

I don't like to lie either so does anyone have any suggestions on what excuses I can use for why I am not drinking?

They know that we are TTC too so that makes it even harder to cover up.

Maybe I should just say that I haven't been feeling well and don't feel like drinking.

any suggestions welcome.

Fee Guest

Could you drink something which looks like alcohol but isn't?!?! Get some sparkling apple juice or something.

Tamara Guest

Could you say you went to the doctors and they noted your blood pressure is up and want to monitor it for a few weeks which means kicking some bad habits

The only reason I say it is because this is what the dr told me a couple of years ago

hhmmm, bit of a tricky one. i reckon you should have a glass with you, but just dont drink it, no one will notice!

but even though you feel that you wouldnt like to lie to them, really they will know soon anyway and will totally understand that you had to tell a little temporary lie just to keep it under wraps!

Linda

Sar79 Guest

Hi Wishful,

Thank you for bringing this topic up as i to have a dinner party to go to on Saturday night and everyone knows that i enjoy a drink or three...... One couple know that im pregnant but everyone else might suspect somethings up seeings they have childern and probably have seen it all before..... I decided that im going to take orange juice and drink orange juice out of a champer glass and maybe hold the glass a differant way so no one can see theres no bubbles (champagne and orange juce is my drink anyway)...

Maybe add a little lemonade or soda water so you have bubbles too ??

Sal Guest

If they know you are TTC then you could just say that you've read that abstaining from alcohol whilst TTC boosts your chances of falling pg. I mean, I think it does, so why not run with something like that? Then you're not lying, just not telling them the whole story.

Well I got found out and it all happened within seconds! I rang my friend just before they came over to see if they wanted a lift over. She said that it would be good but then they were then going to have to get home. So I said that I would drive them home because I wouldn't be drinking. Straight away she said "Are you pregnant"! Doh! At first I said 'no I wasn't' and then I said that maybe I was. she then said she would talk to me about it when I saw her.

when i got off the phone DH just laughed at me and told me how hopeless I am at keeping secrets.

After they came over we ended up telling them. I am glad we did actually as it was good to be able to talk to someone about it. They knew we were TTC so the no drinking was a dead give-away. They have a lovely 3yo that we babysit from time to time and they are good freinds so it was nice to share it with them.

Yes we will be telling them in the next week. They are going to be so excited as it will be the first grandchild for both our parents. I can't wait!

Fee Guest

How exciting Wishful! I find it hard to keep secrets too (well fun ones that are good news). I've already told a lot of people that we plan on TTC in a few months.