Thread: Exercise and Pregnancy

Default Exercise and Pregnancy

I am currently the fittest I have ever been in my entire life!! But now I am pregnant, I don't just want to stop.... I will talk to my dr when I see him next, but anyone else out there exercise quite a bit and have any advise?? I do 10km fun runs about every 2 months. Can I still do them? I am running at a pretty good pace, just under 5mins per km. When summer comes I was planning on getting back into my triathlons, but until then I'll be sticking with duathlons (running & riding) and just fun runs.

I know they say that if you are already doing it, it is fine to keep going, but I don't know how hard I can push myself. Will it really make that much difference at this early stage? When should I start to slow down? Or will my body just tell me what to do??

Thanks

Heya Joey- the advice I got was to keep my pulse under 140bpm. I exercised up to 32 weeks. I couldn't run throughout that time though which was annoying, but only because my body couldn't cooperate. I walked instead, and kept up the swimming and gym work with a PT. I've obviously slowed down....today I walked about a kilometre and AM SO PROUD!!! :P

One of the best pieces of advice I got regarding exercise (and pregnancy for that matter) was that it isn't just about me anymore. So even if I want to go hard in a spin class... it's just not right for bubba.

Best of luck with your fitness throughout your pregnancy!!!

thanks krystals. all the best for your birth, i'm sure it will be a good one seeing you're keeping so active. x

I was told that if you were exercising prior to falling pregnant that it was safe to do so.

But talk to your doctor about it.

And all the best

Thanks KM. I agree. I will talk to the Dr though.

I was doing heaps, and was also fittest I have ever been - rode up Coot-tha for the first time 4 days before my bfp And was ready to do it again, but dropped out last minute. I was only riding and swimming, so I guess a duathlon of a different sort!

My doc said to keep doing everything, that it was all fine. I asked about the heart rate thing, and she said not to worry, that if I was going too hard that I would know. And it was true - it was ages back, but I was pushing it up a hill (the hills round Indooroo golf course, if you know the area) on the bike at one point, and I knew I'd gone too hard - I sort of started seeing everything in pink, as if I were starting to get a little dizzy. I slowed down and hopped off, and was OK. I was really quite sick the next day though, don't know for sure if the two are related, but I do think that if I went a bit hard, I felt sicker the next day.
    Same in the pool, although the only reason I've had to stop is that the motion of the water made my morning sickness too unbearable in the early weeks! My midwife is absolutely thrilled that I am swimming and riding.

Now, I've found that my strength has dropped right off, but my cardio-fitness is still there. Swimming feels more awesome than ever, it's my favourite thing to do.

So go for it! It will be great for you. Trust your body!

Thanks Audax