Thread: Experiences with anterior placenta?

Default Experiences with anterior placenta?

I found out at our 19 week ultrasound that baby's placenta is anterior. I've done a little googling but not coming up with the answers to my question... which I can ask my midwife but it's really not a worrying question so I thought I'd see what knowledge everyone else has.

- I was watching my belly last night and it was visibly pulsing. Pretty cool until it starting making me think of "Alien" and I had to look away But I was wondering, if the baby's pulse stops, does the placenta stop pulsing too? So therefore can I presume that whenever I can see/feel the placenta pulsing that the baby has a heartbeat?

Anyone else got any anterior placenta questions or tid-bits?

im pretty sure ya belly pulsates more tot he fact that ur have alot more blood flowing in ur body.
    both my pregs i have had an anterior placenta and had no probs. just ment to mean u dont feel movement as quick as others but with this preg i felt movement from about 15 weeks.

I felt movement late so classic case there. I didn't notice my belly pulsing last pregnancy.

I had an anterior placenta with my DS - but couldn't feel/see it pulsing. I did feel movement quite late and also had a posterior birth. There seems to be a higher incidence of posterior presentation with anterior placentas - from my googling anyway

Default Experiences with anterior placenta?

Sassy is right it will mostly mean you won't feel a lot of the movement, don't know about the pulsating, I have had two anterior placentas and never noticed it.

This pregnancy I have a anterior placenta, the other 2 I didn't. The other 2 I had posterior labours and so far this bub is sitting anterior. I've never had a bub sitting anterior during pregnancy, so I'm hoping she'll stay there. I didn't feel any kicks until about 27 weeks.

i have an anterior placenta with this bubba. last bubba was posterior.

i was suprised that it was anterior this time as i have felt her kicking from the 11 week mark; so not a classic case at all lol!

i too was wondering if the labouring/birth would be different based on the position of the placenta?? ATM bubba is head down and anterior ( that she stays that way lol).

one question i do have is: is the third stage different with an anterior placenta? (ie take longer, riskier etc). i am guessing no, but would be interested to hear other's experiences...

I had an anterior placenta with DD, with this pregnancy I don't think it is so much anterior but they still class it as anterior. Both bubs were anterior in their presentation (well this one is so far and I think I can assume he will stay that way!). I felt kicks late, but don't think there was much difference other than that.

Haven't heard anything about the third stage being different... I had the injection with DD and it came away cleanly, quickly, no problems. This time around I'm planning a natural third stage so I can report back if you like... whenever this little guy chooses to make an appearance!

I've an anterior placenta with twins (only one placenta). I'm 16 weeks and so far I don't think I've felt any movement - just gas and stretching I think. My OB is not concerned so all I can see is its supposed to muffle the feeling a bit but does not seem to have any other impact.

Thanks everyone. I get the impression that it really doesn't matter a whole lot where your placenta is (unless it's previa) in terms of health and birth but it is interesting to note some differences it may make.

I feel like I'm bonding with the placenta more than I did last pregnancy I'm feeling baby kick more often now which is nice too