Thread: Fainting while lying down???

Default Fainting while lying down???

Hi,
    I was taken to hospital last night because every time I would lie down I would almost pass out. The room would spin and someone would have to lift me up. It didnt matter if I was on my side or on my back and it actually started while i was sitting. They said they think its the baby pressing on a blood vessel. Has anyone ever had this before?

oh no nat! i hope you;re ok now! take it easy hunny

I haven't had it happen to me, but another woman I know had this happen when she was having a wax done actually. The poor thing layed back to have it done and she passed out. They are right by saying it is related to the baby/uterus pressing against a blood vessel.

Thanks Danni and Sherie. At least I wasnt having a wax,LOL.

thank god for your new slow cooker. You will have more time to relax now babe

page Guest

Hi Natalie,
    That's de ja vu for me. I had exactly the same thing happen when I was around 17 weeks, and have experienced it off and on since then (i'm now 26 weeks, and it's getting a lot better). I was sitting at the time talking to my dad on the phone when it hit. I tried to change positions, even ended up lying on the floor on my lefthand side and it still got worse. I had difficulty catching my breath and started to break out in a cold sweat. I began panicking because I had trouble breathing, which I'm sure didn't help. My DH gave me some orange juice which seemed to help a little. Called the ambulance and felt fine by the time they arrived. Apparently it's caused by my low blood pressure which dropped significantly because of the bub pressing against the inferior vena cava vessel in the uterus. I was told to try and keep up my fluids, take shallow breaths, as deep breaths can accentuate the problem, and lie on your lefthand side with your legs elevated. I know it's scary honey, but it eventually becomes much easier to manage.
    Hope you're ok!
    Page

page Guest

BTW, when you laid down on your side, was it the left or the right? I've found that I can't lie on my righthand side at all, as that blood vessel still gets compressed somewhat.

Quote Originally Posted by page
    I was told to try and keep up my fluids, take shallow breaths, as deep breaths can accentuate the problem, and lie on your lefthand side with your legs elevated.
    This is exactly what I was told when I was pregnant with Madeleine.
    I felt like I was going to faint all the time when I was pregnant with her.
    When I was carrying Noah... I would get like this whenever I went into my local Big W !!! Crazy !!! I guess their air conditioning wasn't right for me, because I always felt hot when I was in there.

I really feel for you... It is such an awful feeling, being on the urge of passing out.
    I hope everything starts getting better for you soon
    Lisa

I felt like such a sook, but am feeling a little better about it now.

Page it was both sides at the hospital - they just kinda rolled me around,LOL!

Thats really funny about the shallow breathing, because your natural instinct is to gulp in as much as you can

Thanks everyone for your replies. I'm a lot less worried now that I know its not just me..

page Guest

Hi Lisa,
    That's funny what you said about Big W. I am beginning to view my fainting episodes like that VB beer commercial...."you can get it anytime..." Lol. It has happened walking to the hospital, in Target, in front of a boomgate at the Monash Medical Centre on my way to visit my DH after being discharged from the RWH for fainting (ironic) - that was fun, my BIL said he didn't know what to do and he really meant it, lit up a cigarette while security got me a wheelchair and drivers stopped at the boomgate to offer assistance....???

omg page !! I hope the rest of your pregnancy goes smoothly

tiggy Guest

Lisa,
    Just had to reply to your BigW post!
    This happened to me too!!!
    Everytime I went near the place I'd pass out...then it started happening at Woolies too...very weird.

It was awful... It never really happened to me anywhere but Big W. Sometimes woolies... But, i put that down to all the food and morning sickness.
    At the beginning of the school year... I was buying socks and undies for my kids... and i was standing at the register... started feeling like i was going to faint... and my DS stood in the line and paid for the items for me while I went and sat down.
    Because I wasn't showing a great lot... I must have looked insane!
    I think it is the worst when it isn't noticable that you're pregnant... When people can tell, they usually rush to help you