Thread: Fetal Doppler - how to use?

Default Fetal Doppler - how to use?

We just got a fetal doppler - it is a babycare one - but I can't hear anything. Before I start panicking and think my baby is in trouble - does anyone have any hints.

We've followed the instructions - put the gel on etc but no luck.

Deafening silence

I'm panicking now!

Off to ring the midwife.

Kar,
    Try not to panic hun... I am sure everything will be fine.
    The midwife at the hospital had to search around last week to find my babys HB, and we only got to hear it for a min before it moved away and was too difficult to find again.
    Maybe your baby is moving around making it real hard for you to find it, if a midwife has problems finding it straight away, then of course DIY will be difficult at first.
    Has your OB/Midwife heard the babys HB yet?

dont stress kar!! could be hiding! But maybe see your midwife or gp and they can show you?

Thanks Girls
    Yes we heard the heartbeat with my ob at our 14wk appointment - the ob just put it straight down and we heard it fine.

Just spoke to midwife - she gave me a few more ideas and also said that the digital reading of 158 was probably some sign that that was the baby's hb but that I couldn't hear it. Anyway - I think the whole idea has been a bad one at the moment and wish I hadn't done it. Only really did it because DH was feeling disconnected from the pg. I'll try again in a few days.

The midwife didn't rush to suggest I should come in to get help. She said she could imagine that it might be a rather stress inducing exercise.

Danni - did you buy one yet?

yes i did-- but im not going to try until 12 weeks.

good idea - and perhaps book in with your midwife for the first go like you suggested. Will spare you a big panic maybe.

I wish Sal was still around. I know she rented one for her first preg.

I know "MeredithD" has been using one a lot, as well as "Bubseykel"

Ok im sending bubseykel this way. Hope she can help you

Maybe they'll see this thread and give me some tips!

I'm calming down now - but now I have this niggling doubt which is going to eat away at me I'm sure. I've got to fly down to Melb this afternoon and won't be back til tomorrow night. Will just have to hang out until then before I try again.

Hi Kar!! Danni just told me about you.

I had heaps of trouble with my doppler until I was about 20 weeks. I remember finding the HB about 15 weeks by sitting up, squashing my tummy a bit and placing the probe just beside my belly button. I also found that laying on my back and placing it just above the pubic line I never found anything which is where they say to try it. I found it most of the time above or around my belly button when I was laying on my back.

All I can say is patients is the best thing and try and do it when you are relaxed - lube up your whole belly and just move it over very slowly. Remember your body will give you some indication if something's wrong so try not to stress out.

Let me know if I can help anymore. I'm on MSN if you need me.
    Last edited by Bubseykel; September 5th, 2006 at 12:47 PM.

Thanks Kel and thanks Emma
    I have calmed down now thanks to you gals.

I was a bit naive not to think about how I would react if I couldn't get the thing to work! I'll take it to my next ob appointment later this month.

tiggy Guest

Kar,
    If you can find the top of your fundal height (a hard ridge - should be just below your belly button at 15 weeks) then go down and find your pubic brim (hard ridge just above your hoohaa). Now, if I were you I would try to find your little one's hb just under the pubis (pelvic brim). Don't just put it on, push in and then angle it downwards, as if you are trying to get under the bone. Also, wait for a bit, often it takes a few moments for the doppler to pick up bubbies hb.
    If no luck there, I would go to the top of your fundal height and place the doppler smack in the middle, remember to push down a little bit and angle it downwards.

HTH and GL

Kar this was the exact reason I decided not to get one when I was PG with Matilda. I "knew" I would panic if I couldn't hear the HB. At 9weeks I had an u/s due to cramping & fear of m/c & they got the HB so I thought I'd get a doppler, but suddenly I didn't.

This pregnancy even the midwives weren't able to get a HB on doppler until I was 24 weeks and even then they couldn't get one on long enough to measure the heartrate. This baby hates dopplers & will squirm away. I have an anterior placenta as well this pregnancy which is why it makes it more difficult to hear. We got our first accurate doppler reading at 26 weeks.

*hugs* the stress sucks so bad!!!