Thread: Finally Found A Nice Mayonaise

Fruitwood Guest

Default Finally Found A Nice Mayonaise

Hi, I've been looking for a nice Mayonaise ever since I fell pregnant and have been given lots of recipes to make my own. My midwife team has been adamant all the way that I not eat Mayo or Salad dressing that contains egg but a relative gave me a bottle of Praise 97% Fat Free Mayo to try as it contains No Egg. It is really nice and I recommend it to anyone else who is having trouble living without mayo or salad dressings, lol. I am now back to eating fresh potato salad and coleslaw again. I wish I'd found this out earlier, lol. Hope this helps anyone else looking for Mayo.

Sharon

Kirsty77 Guest

Owww thanks for that Sharon.I couldn't find a mayonnaise that I could eat while pregnant and I love the stuff!I'll have to remember it for the next time I'm pregnant!

Melinda Guest

You might like to check out this thread where I was talking about whole-egg mayonnaise during PG.

I was told by my OB that eating bought mayonnaise was fine as it is pasteurised (even though I never actually did eat it ). That thread just discusses it a bit more.....and apparently it's fine!! It's only the home-made variety that is of concern as it's not pasteurised then.

Thanks for that Sharon, I have been dying to have some mayonaise on my salads, now I will have to go and find it in the supermarket.

rivergirl424 Guest

Hi guys.... I'm not a big mayo fan, but the only mayo I will eat is Hellman's!!!! Do you guys have that over there? It's good stuff! And now they make it with Canola oil so it's better for ya..... and still tastes great!

Kelly

Kelly - We do have Hellmans here - well actually its Best Foods, which is what Hellmans is called on the west coast of the U.S. (I'm a transplanted American). But you're right, its really good, and was a lifesaver when I found it, because "Australian" mayonaisse is a little bit different in flavour and texture than what I was used to in America. Unfortunately they don't sell the lower fat version in supermarkets here, but I found Hellmans Light mayo at a U.S.A. Food Store in Bentleigh (Melbourne) not long ago, its a little bit expensive but worth it when I'm trying to lose weight.
    As for eating mayo during pregnancy, I was also told that its ok if store bought mayo has egg in it, just stay away from home made mayo with egg. Thank goodness cause I'd be lost without my Mayo!
    -Stephanie

rivergirl424 Guest

Thanks for the info Stephanie! How long have you been living over there? Liking it? Hope ya had a Great New Year's!!

Kelly

Kelly I've been living here for 2 1/2 years now, and I love it, although I do get very homesick and am missing my family, especially now with the baby due in a week. What brings you to our Australian-based Forum?

rivergirl424 Guest

Hey Stephanie.... Well congrats and hope the pregnancy is quick and wonderful!! [-o<

I found this site a few weeks ago while searching for message boards on trying to conceive and pregnancy. I found some others too, but after reading the posts from each forum, this one really caught my eye. The people are very helpful and generally just really nice!

Have a good one and talk to ya later!

Kelly