Thread: Finding out the sex at the NT scan??

Sal Guest

Question Finding out the sex at the NT scan??

Hi there, I am soooo curious about this. When I had bub #1 it didn't even occur to me to ask the sonographer at the nuchal translucency scan what the sex of bub was (I thought it was too early to tell by u/s).

However, my SIL had a baby and was told at her NT scan that the sonographer thought it was a boy (of course, was not certain). Anyway, it was 'confirmed' at the morphology scan and was a boy.

I was wondering if this had happened to anyone else?? I'm thinking of asking at my NT scan!

Hi Sal,

I always thought the genitals still looked a bit ambiguous at that point which is why they don't like to take a guess.

You can always ask and see what the operator says. =)

Mel

Yeah I thought the same about it being a bit ambiguous at that stage, but hey it can't hurt to ask!

They aren't able to tell by the genitals but my SIL found out she was having a boy at 12 weeks because supposedly the pelvis points upwards if it's a boy...and she ended up having a boy.

Sal Guest

Yes, I thought that too! I can't imagine that the sonographer just volunteered her opinion on the sex of bub - I put it down to ultra-keen first-time parents hassling!

I don't want to ask if it's actually a little silly to, if the genitals are just a bit too ambiguous...

ETA Rae: the sonographer told them she thought she saw boy genitals. I was amazed, the genitals only start differentiating at about 11w, I think

I would be really dubious finding out that early.
    My OB thought this bub was a girl at my 14w appointment and he's definitely not. They're more likely to be wrong than right that early.

Hi Sal,

They may just voltuneer the information - they did with us. I found out I was having a boy at my NT scan which I had at 11.5 weeks (at the Calvary Clinic - I see you are also in the ACT!). We didn't ask at all since both DH and I thought you couldn't tell the sex until at least 16 weeks, so we were taken by suprise when the sonographer asked if we wanted to know if it was a boy or girl! Luckily we had already discussed it beforehand! Our morph. scan at 18 weeks (in the public hospital this time) confirmed that it is indeed a boy, although we had to ask as they didn't volunteer it this time, but she was happy to show us I think she had just forgotten cause she was in a hurry to go to lunch, lol!

Sal Guest

Oh thanks for that babydust! My SIL went to the Calvary clinic so maybe it's just that clinic/that sonographer? I am going through Calvary but my NT scan is actually being done at John James (the only one to do them on Saturday mornings). Well I will ask and see how I go! I reckon I'm carrying another boy, so we'll see.

At my nuchal scan I begged the sonographer to tell me what she 'thought' we were having, and she said a boy... and it turns out she was right!
    Although at that stage I think they really are just taking an educated guess...

I asked at my 12 week scan and was told no they can not tell the sex then. I think they are just guessing at that stage.

I was told they couldnt tell at the nt scan too. But the same lady told me at my 20 week scan for my first born(she got it right) and also my second which i still have to wait if she was correct.

Apparently in about 7 months I will be a qualified midwife - yikes!

I asked at my 12 week scan and was told we were having a girl, only to find out at the 20 week scan that we were definately having a boy! I had already bought a couple of girls things!

I think they can get an idea, but it is by no means certain! I won't be asking again as I did get a little dissappointed at the 20 weeks scan.