Thread: first act of chivalry

Default first act of chivalry

i was doing my groceries this afternoon, and had a particularly full trolley (woolies had boxes of nappies on special), anyway, got to the escalators with my trolley. i hate going down them because the trolley always slips and it hurts my back to try to hold it in place.

so, a man walking behind me said 'here ill help you with that' and grabbed the trolley and helped me down. i thought it was really sweet, it made my day. it was so nice that someone saw that i was pregnant and helped me out.

has anyone else had any acts of chivalry since they started showing? did you like it or not?

i live in a small town too, and wonder if it would be as common in a big city?

Linda

Awww that is so nice. I had a gentleman beam at me a few weeks ago in the shopping centre and just said congratulations..congratulations..which was kinda sweet i thought

Jo

Yes! I've noticed that people are generally more patient and courteous since I started "showing". I commented on that to my H a few weeks ago - that people let me walk through doorways first etc. It's definitely a nice change to how people normally act!

That's sweet that he helped you with the trolley.

My Husband is forever doing things like that. He is so sweet and might be walking through a shop with me then all of a sudden he will be gone and will be helping a lady with a pram down the stairs. O

Melody Guest

Mmmmmm..... nope. Nothing here. Luckily enough I am like Dave's Girl & DH is just an incurable sweety. I have him to dote on me so don't have time to resent rude Sydney people. Grrrrrr!

I actually had an older lady curse me under her breath yesterday because I said "excuse me" at the supermarket checkout because I literally could not fit past her.... all she needed to do was just slighly step in but that was just too much hard work obviously. Sad.

And I thought gentlemen where a dieing breed!!! Nice to know there are still plenty of them out there.

What a gentleman. That was so sweet of him. Pity there isn't more men/people out there like him.

I will try to be helpful next time the opportunity arises.

I did stand of the foot path yesterday and waited until a lady with a pram got past. Is that good???? She did give me a big smile O

Whilst i did find the odd door opening or someone give me a big smile whislt pregnant, i have found with DD people are even more willing to help.

Just the other week the trolley man at the local supermarket, pushed my trolley from the shopping centre to my car (i had my DD, 22 months on my hip rather cranky and upset, and i was pushing 2 wks worth of groceries, guess i was asking for it) , he waited for me to load the groceries into my boot, and off with the trolley he was. So nice - and he was an older man too so not like he was after my phone number or anything (LOL) !!!!!!!!!!!

I remember my cousins BF once said to me he LOVES pregnant women, he said they are so beautiful and warm - he used to always rub my belly. Guess it just touches some people !!!!!

Default Acts of chivalry

I've had a few ladies offer me to go ahead of them in the queues for the toilets.

Ellibam Guest

the only time some one has been really helpful to me was when i was in cairns on hols, and another pregnant woman offered me a seat on the bus, but up there they have signs that you should do it. i havent seen any thing like that in adelaide.

i'm glad this seems to happen to everyone at least sometimes!

mbear - i hope like you that it continues after the bub is here!

theresa - interesting that it seems to be the men more than women! good on them.

jo- that sounds like a really nice man that said that. it is funny isnt it how some people just get so excited for you. i think it is lovely.

Linda

Pietta Guest

I had the same thing- I found people wouldnt even move out of the way for me when i was waddling!!

I am glad that there are still lovely men out there! i agree that the nice ones are normally fathers too