Thread: First check... Please help!

symphony Guest

Default First check... Please help!

I did a HPT and got a BFP on Sunday so went to a maternity clinic yesterday (no GPs as such in Japan!). I expected to have a blood test, but they just confirmed with my pee and gave me an internal ultrasound (sorry if TMI) even though I'm only 5wks... The staff were nice enough, but it was all so clinical and rushed, and I was nervous/excited/scared that I completely forgot to ask about a blood test... And it cost about $110 (with insurance!)!
    I'd really appreciate if you could tell me what the first check is like in Oz. What are your experiences? What should I ask? What should the doctor do? Please help!

Congratulations on your PG!
    I had no blood tests to confirm my PG's. You can request one if you aren't sure if you are PG due to an inconclusive HPT or other reason.
    Here they generally do a blood test later on at around 10-12 weeks when they do the first ultrasound.

symphony Guest

Thanks for the advice! I'll look into midwives here. No matter what area of medicine, I've almost always found doctors to be clinical in manner here... There is another clinic nearby - Plan to check it with DH this weekend, so hopefully a nicer atmosphere.

My first visit, the doctor did bloods to check my HCG levels, iron levels as well as checks for STDs which are all apparently standard tests. Lucky he checked my iron as it was already really low.

My GP did blood & urine tests, but none of them were to confirm the pregnancy, she was satisfied that the 4 HPT's I took were pretty good confirmation

So hopefully there's a baby in there when I have my first ultrasound this Friday!

I think all drs and midwives do things differently, I guess the important thing is that if you're unsure or concerned about anything, ask them questions to relieve your concerns, and if you're not satisfied with their answers, find someone else to ask!

I didnt have bloods done, my OB believed me! I also never gave a urine sample this preg until from about 22 wks onwards...

I had blood taken only because they did not believe me (I did 7 HPT - just wanted to make sure lol) then when the Dr confirmed the pregnancy they waited 2 weeks and another blood test to check for STDs, vitaim levels and HCG levels