Thread: first ultrasound scan advice

Laurenralph Guest

Default first ultrasound scan advice

I am 9 weeks pregnant and was wondering when is the best time to have your first ultra sound scan?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurenralph View Post
    I am 9 weeks pregnant and was wondering when is the best time to have your first ultra sound scan?

Thanks.
    that's a call that will be made by your doctor - if there is no indication medically that you need a scan, you may not be referred for a scan until your 19 week morphology scan - all others are optional and are only done if there is a need. given you are confident with your dates, there is no need for a dating scan so unless there is reason to believe you may have a high risk of down syndrome (so advanced maternal age etc) there is probably no call for your to have a scan around the 12 week mark.

go and speak to your GP about care options, and discuss with them - they will be the ones to refer you for any tests you may need

good luck

BG

My GP advised me to do my first scan during my 8week. I heard some people do their first at 12w. I agree that your GP/OB should be able to advise you on that.

yeh what BG said

Definitely make sure you bring it up with your doc if you want one, because many doc's won't even mentions about scans until your 19wk morph scan.

i had a NT scan at 12 weeks to check for down syndrome, my brother has down syndrome and although his type of down syndrome is not hereditary (there are actually 3 types of ds, one being hereditary) i suppose i was more curious than worried. this is an optional scan though and isnt covered by medicare.
    definately get the 18-20 week anatomy scan, this is where they check all bubs measurements, including internal organs etc to check everything is running smoothly, i got most of this back from medicare from what i rememeber. i havent had a scan since then as they said its not necessary unless they diagnose a problem later along the line. GL HTH

Shalou Guest

Hi, my first scan was the Nuchal ultrasound scan which was done at 13 weeks. I didn't care about the results but wanted to see my bub on the screen and make sure that it had a heartbeat, my next offered scan was at 20 weeks. My Nuchal scan was covered fully by medicare and didn't cost me anything. Costs for scans vary depending on where they are done and whether it's at a private imaging practice or within the public hospital system. My public hospital has a Benson's radiology department and all maternity scans are fully covered by medicare if done by Benson's.

Default First scan

Your first consultation with your Ob/Gyn should be at your 10 week mark and you will receive referrals for your first Ultrasound scan then. The scan should be done at 12 weeks and your blood work at 10-11 weeks

It's funny the differences in how many scans people have. As everyone's said it's up to your GP/Ob. I have had 4 scans so far and have all covered by medicare.

1st was a dating u/s cause I had irregular periods and no way of knowing how far along I was.

2nd was at 12w. I'd had some spotting and so they sent me for an u/s to check everything was ok. However my GP had given me a refferal for a scan at 12w to make sure everything was going ok.

3rd was my morph scan

4th was because they couldn't get clear pics of the heart at the morph scan so had to have another one. Which worked out good cause both my mum and dad got to come to an u/s each.

5th will be between 34-36w. This one was requested by me as my hubby has been overseas since my first u/s and I wanted him to be able to come to an u/s before the birth. Ob is happy to refer me for one as he can use it as an opportunity to check Peanuts position etc prior to delivery.

My best advice is just ask. Most GP's/Obs are happy to give you a refferal for an u/s when you request it

I've had four scans with this pregnancy. I had my first at 7.5 weeks as my previous pregnancy had been a missed miscarriage and I wanted to check there was a heartbeat (I paid for this scan).

The next was at 12 weeks for the NT measurement (also paid for at private place).

After that I had the morphology scan at 18w3d.

Then I had one at 35.5 weeks to see if my placenta had moved up since the previous scan.

If all goes well with my next pregnancy I'd be happy just to have the 12w and 19w scans.

#1 - first scan was 14 weeks because i had a bleed.
    #2 - had a scan at 8.5 weeks because of bleeding and found out i had a blighten ovum.
    #3 - scan at 6 weeks because of bleeding.
    #4 - i requested a scan at 8 weeks to make sure everything was ok. No bleeding this pregnancy *phew*