Thread: Fish fingers and mercury in fish? Oh I'm so confused!

Default Fish fingers and mercury in fish? Oh I'm so confused!

Ok, so I am CRAVING fish fingers. I have them in the freezer. Yesterday I had a few for lunch and I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO wanting some right now but I have to check something with you all first...

I know we're all told to limit fish intake to once a week when you're pregnant, because of the mercury thing (although if you ask most people there isn't even FISH in fish fingers LOL ) but I have also heard its only a certain type of fish... though as others have said, what exactly is fish fingers made out of (honestly I don't think you could turn me off them right now if you tried, I want them so bad!!!!!).

I'm confused about fish fingers now... Can I have fish fingers more than once a week? How much mercury is even in fish fingers? I don't know whether there would be more or less because they are so processed...?

Can you tell I have major baby brain.... pre-pregnancy me woul dknow the asnwer to this straight away, but I'm just so confused!!!!! I'm clouded by my extreme desire to eat the whole 1kg box of fish fingers (slight exageration... I could probably only eat 5 or 6 lol).

if you google mercury and fish you will get a good answer I am sure

I beleive it is fish such as tuna, marlin, mackeral, if there is any fish in fish fingers I imagine it would be bass, shark etc crap fish basically

Here is a good thing to consider when eating fish and getting confused....

Fish that eats other fish has mercury in it, the big fish have mercury in it. Easy peasy. That is shark (Flake) orange ruffy, Marlin, swordfish, catfish, barramundi.

In the case of tuna: BLUEFIN tuna is the tuna to limit intake. Yellow fin tuna is better, which is what is in most tinned tuna.

I would assume Fish Fingers are made from Hake - the same stuff in oven fish and fillet of fish from maccas.

For more info here look here: Pregnant woman can have more then 1 serve a week granted it is low mercury fish!!

Mercury in fish - Better Health Channel.

Mercury is a heavy metal, so it doesn't leave a body once it's there. It accumulates. Generally speaking, the smaller the fish, the lower its mercury percentage would be. Larger fish have ingested more mercury, and have a higher mercury content.

Honestly, if its fish fingers you're after, knock yourself out. Its not going to hurt you.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

There is actually a bellybelly article on this HERE
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.