Thread: Fitness during pregnancy

Default Fitness during pregnancy

All -

I'm after any recommendations for pregnancy specific fitness classes that you can recommend.

At the moment I'm looking at either Aqua classes of Preggie Bellies classes.

Can anyone recommend either of these/which one is better?

Thanks in advance!

I'm starting pregnancy yoga and pregnancy aqua aerobics this week. Most of my preggy friends have done both and love them. They're not only beneficial for pregnancy but can really help prepare your body for labour.

I've also started walking a lot more again now that my MS and fatigue have left the building

Hi Soulful,
    I've been doing preggi bellies since the start of February. I am not sure where/which class you are looking to join but from my experience they have been fantastic. I first started off just by doing one of the trial classes, why don't you do a trial class at your local one?

I would look into pregnancy pilates too, I did pilates during my pregnancy which ran through the physio department at the hospital, it's great for core strength and pelvic floor, and will probably help you get back to shape quicker post baby if you continue after baby arrives (after you've been given the all clear from your health care providers of course). I also did aqua classes which were great!

Pre-natal yoga and pilates and great birth-preparations and help with breathing and relaxation as well as fetal positioning. My yoga teacher is a bit wary of 'preggy bellies' classes cos they are a lot of 'huff-n-puff' and still quite impactful on joints and muscles under the influence of relaxin hormones (not to mention the exhorbitant prices they charge!)
    Aqua classes, swimming, walking and gentle cycle classes (watching that your heart rate doesn't get too high and you don't get too hot with any of these) are great for maintaining cardiovascular fitness without stressing joints.

Koru, thanks - you bring up some good points.

Are you able to recommend any yoga/pilates places that cater for pregnant women?

Hi soulful,
    Sorry I didn't reply yesterday - wasn't near a computer. Are you in Melbourne? I think I read that the Belly Belly centre itself runs classes. I'm in the Northern suburbs so that's not so convenienet for me but most yoga schools in the North run pre-natal classes. There's one at Kundalini House in North Fitzroy, Be-yoga runs classes in Brunswick and Northcote, and I've heard good things about one in Fairfield (Luna?). I guess it's a case of trying out a few til you find a style that suits you - some are more medicatate/breathing focussed and some are more into Active Birth and fetal positioning - I like to 'mix it up' and get a well-rounded approach