Thread: Flu Vaccine - is it safe to have during pregnancy?

Arrow Flu Vaccine - is it safe to have during pregnancy?

Hi Ladies,

My employer arranged flu vax for us during April when I'll be 27week+. Is it safe to have the shot?
    I've been searching on the internet. Some people said their GPs or OBs recommended it; while others rekon better not, coz the baby would get antibody if mother gets flu/cold.

Which one is true? Should I take the shot? Any one has had the flu shot during pregnancy before?
    Thank you!

feeb is offline Thankful for the kindness of my 2012 RAK making me Life member

Nope dont have it.

I am a mw and our hospital organises it every year and WILL NOT vacconate pregnant staff.

Hi GCdollar,

Congrats on your pregancy. I had a flu shot when I was in my second trimetser with DS. My OB said getting the flu woudl be worse for the baby? I didnt get any side affects. But I think its a descion only you can make. Good luck x

Hi GC Dollar, sorry I cannot be of much help but why don't you ask your Ob/health care provider and see what they say?
    Which Ob (if any) did you end up going with BTW? Isherwood?

I got mine during 2nd trimester too. However I couldn't get it done via the workplace scheme, as they don't do it for preggy ladies. I had to get it done thru my GP. In my case, I was alone for 4 months while my DH was overseas and the risk of me getting ill during peak flu season wasn't one I was prepared to take.

hi gcdollar

i'm in a similar position - my work also organises for them & they're booked in for late april, when i'll be about 30 weeks. most people have said that you definitely need it when pregnant but i'm going to double check with my ob at my check up next week & see what they say.

sorry i can't be of more help!

Quote Originally Posted by spice View Post
    Hi GC Dollar, sorry I cannot be of much help but why don't you ask your Ob/health care provider and see what they say?
    Which Ob (if any) did you end up going with BTW? Isherwood?
    My OB told me not to have the flu vaccine, but it'll be ok to have it after the bub is born and while breastfeeding.

I'm not seeing Isherwood. I'm seeing Miriam Lee in same hospital but different room from Isherwood.

Hi there - I am getting mine just after my bubs is born as my work also organises it. I checked with my OB and they said that it is actually a good thing to get done while you are breast feeding as you can pass on the good effects of the jab to protect your baby.

I didn't ask about getting it done during pregnancy however due to the timing of mine.

Janie xxx

I had it while pregnant and there were no ill effects. It was recommended to me by my GP. I thought it was a great idea, not being able to take any drugs while pregnant would have really knocked me around if I had got the flu.

I also took precautions, if Dh was starting to feel sick I would go and sleep in the spare room for a few nights until he felt better so I wouldn't get anything. He is a teacher so all those yucky germs are just rife at his work!

I heard there's a new type of flu coming in Australia from the US, which the current flu vaccine does not work on it. So ladies, watch out and be careful. And I think it's a good idea to sleep in a separate room if partner is having signs of flu/cold.

Hi there,

I know our workplace provider will not let pregnant ladies get the flu shot, however when pg with dd I asked my obs & he recommended it and said it was safe in the second tri

If your OB said not to then I wouldn't get it.

Hi

There is no reason not to get the flu vaccine while pregnant unless you have allergies to egg white or dont mind the flu. It does not contain mercury which is what previously worried people.

I am currently 20wks pregnant and will be getting the vaccine soon along with my family. I have researched getting the vaccine while pregnant..my baby will be born at the peak of flu season and if you get vaccinated while pregnant the benefits of the vaccine pass to the baby so when they are born they are protected.

I had the flu in my last pregnancy and literally thought I was going to die, I was bed ridden for 4 days and was incapable of looking after my 8mnth old son while DH was at work.

It is a personal decision but Im not taking the chance this winter