Thread: Flying with only 4 weeks to go

Lorin Guest

Default Flying with only 4 weeks to go

An unexpected weekend has come up that i would like to go to melbourne for on the 8th of September till the 10th. I am due 7th October which this would make it 4 weeks before being due. I am going to ask my doctor when i see her on Wednesday if she will let me fly but what are your opinions, Do you think its Safe enough. I am quite small and have had no difficulties through the pg and i have good blood pressure!!!

U should be fine - might just have to check with ur airline though cause i think there are some regulations about flying in the last few weeks.

Lorin, have you read the flying in pregnancy article on the main site?? It has some hints on what to do if you're flying & also what some of the airlines restrictions are. Here it is

HTH

Lorin Guest

Thats Great thanks Heaps i ahve printed it off and will read it and also take it with me to my doctors appoinment.

Melody Guest

Lorin it is probably more the airline you need to check with as well..... They do have guidelines on this for liability etc.

Best of luck

Lorin Guest

Would you Personally go on a plane trip at 36 Weeks?

Only if I really, really had to. I travelled when I was 19 or 20 wks from Melb to Sydney for a funeral. There was a fair bit of turbulance and I found that my belly bounced everywhere and was quite uncomfortable. Perhaps because my baby was smaller than you are being a lot further along, however I found Blake bouncing everywhere, and it hurt! Knowing what I know now, I'd only do it for this sort of reason - funeral - and no other.

Only if I had to as well! It's very tiring flying particularly when you are so pg. My mum wanted me to go down to her book launch in Melbourne next week (i'll be 36 weeks) but I said no way! But I also have an 11.5 month old so it would have been extra tough. Aside from that though, I still doubt I would have gone, just far too draining.

I wouldnt go myself.I have flown at 20 weeks too and was small but just found the turbulance uncomfortable. Does flying also affect swelling of your legs too?

I wouldn't go...just my opinion. Particularly for such a short time. But go and see your ob/mw etc and have a chat to them about it, get the required drs certificate, remember to drink lots of water, and move around as much as possible being mindful of your poor balance though! Have fun and best of luck.

I flew UK-Singapore-Perth at 29 weeks when i was expecting no3.I had been well all through pregnancy and was absolutely fine, no discomfort whatsoever. If the airline are happy to carry you, I;mnot sure on their policies these days, and your doc is happy for you to go then why not go for it if you feel like it.

Just remember though a lot can change between now and then, even if your doc is fine with it now you will have to get a med cert within 48 hours of travelling (usual airline regs). If your situation changes and you're not pernitted to fly would you stand to lose much money?

Taz

mummymeegs Guest

I have a work conference in Melbourne that I was looking at going too.. I jumped on the airlines website and they say they wont allow travel after 35 - 36 weeks of pregnancy. Go on their websites and check it out as I cant remember the exact details. But really, the choice is up to you, if you are healthy and feel up to it then I would go. However, I travel from the Gold Coast to Melbourne quite a lot and it is a pretty long trip.. at least when you are pregnant!

I know the policy with QF is you are not too fly after 36 weeks or 32 weeks if carrying twins or have pregnancy related problems..

I just flew Sydney - Brisbane and return on the weekend and the flight was fine.. I didnt feel any different to if i was not pregnant.. My feed DID swell alot and it was only a short flight! ..

Check what your OB says ..

Lorin Guest

Well i checked with my OB and she said its fine, she said she would let me fly to China if i wanted too. She said there is no harm in it as long as you wear the seat belt low under belly, and walk around a couple fo times and drink plenty of fluids out of a bottle.

So i am going to go, i have gotten a written concent from her so thats all the airlines website ask for if you are over 35 weeks pregnant.

Thanks for all your answer and help.