Thread: flying with pregnant..

em.. Guest

Default flying with pregnant..

not sure if this is the right place,, but ill ask anyway...
    when should you not fly,,, i am ment to be visiting the inlaws in nov and will be about 33 weeks by then... it is a short flight, mel-syd..
    this is my first preg, and so far have not had any complications...

thanks

liz

unless there is complications I'm pretty sure it's 36 weeks ( if anything at all I'm sure some companies had no limitations on singular no complication pregnancies) - I was 32 odd weeks when I did Sydney to Bundaberg (and looked into it at the time and found I would have no problems) and even after complications while away they couldn't see me any problems flying home given they didn't expect I'd have nay further problems and their theory was it was faster than driving anyway

Have you had a look at the Flying During Pregnancy article on the main BB page?

I flew at around the 33 wks mark with Joshua from Bne to Townsville and had no problems. I did get a letter from my doctor though stating that I was in his opinion ok to fly just in case I needed it with the airline.

I just flew from Brissy to Melb two weeks ago all was good.

I am going to be 30 weeks when i go Brisbane to Townsville at the end of the year so I was worried about buying airfare and not be able to use it... I wrote virgin blue an email and this is from it...
    "With regard to the pregnancy a medical clearance is required for any
    pregnancy with complications. A multiple pregnancy requires clearance
    after 34 weeks, a normal pregnancy 32 weeks. "

They may have it mixed up with a mulitple pregnancy needing less clearance but you get the picture, one of my friends said biggest prob she has is getting the seatbelt to fit.
    Remember Anglina Jolie flew international before her baby was born and that is meant to be heaps worse!
    I think mainly the cabin pressure and radiation from the plane is what people worry about and on short journeys these things are not really a big prob.
    AND IT IS SO MUCH QUICKER THAN DRIVING

I have also been told the 36 week cut-off, at least that's what Qantas told me for an international flight to Los Angeles. The only reason they even have such a cut-off is because they don't want you to go into labour on the flight not because it's dangerous for you. It might not be the most comfortable thing being in those little seats squished next to other people but it's perfectly safe. Have fun on your trip.

mum5boys Guest

I flew from Gold Coast to Melbourne when I was 38 wks pg and I had a letter from my doctor saying I was ok to fly but no-one at the airline even asked to see it.
    Michelle

mooshie Guest

my cousin just flew back from the usa to melbourne (so she could have bubs here and be close to family) at 35 wks, and no problem there.

We have booked to fly (before I knew I was pregnant) in two weeks for our first wedding anniversary and I will be around 10 weeks then. Is is dangerous to fly in the first trimester? It is sydney to goldcoast, so only a couple of hours. I don't want to take a risk though if it isn't safe.

I flew when I was about 8 or 9 weeks pregnant Brisbane to Melb and the most unsafe thing about the flight was THE FOOD on the way home they served this DELICIOUS lamb dish I love lamb.... baby does not love lamb, that is the only time in my 19 weeks i have actually been sick.
    I think domestic flights are fine at any time it is just long distance or flights in teeny tiny planes that are a worry.... not 100% on that though.

If you google 'quantas pregnancy flying' you'll find that if you have an uncomplicated pregnancy you can fly after 36 weeks given you have medical clearance from your doctor. International travel is restricted after 36 weeks, and I don't think clearance from your doctor would help.

I flew London to Perth at 34 weeks with DD and Karratha to Perth (around 2 hours) at 37weeks with DS. Just get a letter from docter to say you can fly just in case they do stop you at airport.

Incidentally they ahve the cutoffs not because they are concerned for the mother and baby from a medical point of view but because if you do go into labour they are required to divert automatically to the nearest airport and it therfore becomes too costly to do that. Its all about the money!

Oh you will most probably find tho that as soon as you get off the plain your ankles/legs will swell up. Happened to me both times, walked on as normal pregnant woman and got off the other end as elephant woman!!!

As for flying in the first trimester, I flew to Japan at 8 weeks and back at 10 and had no problems. I was worried about being sick and stuck on a plane for 10 hours so asked for an aisle seat (was good for frequent trips to the loo too!). I bought those accu-pressure wrist bands and they are brilliant! I'm still wearing them now when I'm not travelling.

furkids Guest

I have just flown this weekend at 29 weeks from Mel - Syd - Mel. I just needed a letter from my ob to say I could fly (to show if I was stopped at the gate - no one cared ). I have had a completely normal pregnancy thus far (no complications). I found the flight to be mildly uncomfortable on the way up, and taking off and landing made bubs super active BUT once I got up there I bled very lightly for 6-7 hours (sorry TMI soaked through 2 panty liners and a pad). Stopped overnight, flew back the next day...the flight was even more uncomfortable, lots of braxton hicks, really tight tummy, bubs super super active and again light bleeding for 6-7 hours afterwards. As of Monday, bleeding stopped and I feel fine other than slightly tender tummy and tiredness.

Now turns out nothing is wrong but my ob says the gravitational pressure on the plane at any stage during your pregnancy can cause bleeding, and bring on miscarriage / labour. But that they dont stop women flying because it depends on your body....so not everyone has the same response. Having said that a work colleague flew at 12 weeks (Greece to Melbourne) and had heavy heavy bleeding - her ob believes only complete enforced bed rest for two weeks afterwards saved her pregnancy.

Lets just say after my experience I wouldnt recommend flying in your 3rd trimester.