Thread: Foetal Heart Beat

Question Foetal Heart Beat

Hello,

My wife had her first / initial consultation with our OB. We think my wife is 5 6 weeks pregnant. The OB was able to see the sack and various other signs; however he was unable to detect a heart beat. He had done both an external and internal examination.

We are both feeling very worried at the moment and unsure of what to expect.

Our OB has recommended us to come back in a week.

My question is: Could it be that we misinterpreted the conception date? Or, could it be that it is normal for no heart beat at this stage?

I really appreciate any responses and feedback.

Thank you.

fetal heartbeat is usually detected around 6 weeks but can be later. so if your wife is only about 5 weeks that may be the reason why. And dates can easily be wrongly calculated. Very stressfull either way, hope you get to see HB at next ultrasound

Welcome to BB

At this stage, its entirely possible that it just couldn't be picked up yet My sister was in hospital at 28 weeks and they STILL had problems finding the heartbeat, even though there turned out to be no problems with bub!

Try not to stress too much, and enjoy the coming months

I would say that it is a little too early to pick up the heartbeat yet. Although it can sometimes be picked up at around 5 weeks it is usually not detected till around 6 weeks.

Hello everyone,

Thank you all for your thoughts and wishes.

Good news, it turns out that we definitely went to see the OB too early. The second visit found a heart beat and no complications. According to the measurements, my wife was 6 weeks and 5 days pregnant at the second consultation.

Thank you everyone again and I hope this thread gives hope to anyone in the situation my wife an I were in.

Excellent, that is wonderful news!

Congratulations and here is to a happy and healthy next 8 months!

Sue xxx