Thread: freaking out - transverse???

Default freaking out - transverse???

I am planning to homebirth via the Sunshine Hospital Program. I had the regulation OB visit on Monday and think the baby is transverse! The OB mentioned the head was off to the top left of my belly and left it at that, so she didn't seem worried. But I am! I am 29 weeks! What do I do??? I next see my mw at 32 weeks and I am worried leaving it that long. I know babies turn but I also know the sooner you get onto it the better. I am in North-West Melbourne so any referrals would be appreciated.

And yes I am typing this at 4 in the morning - I am really worried!

I hope you managed to get some sleep My DD was transverse until around 36 weeks - she was really comfy in that position! At 34 weeks my Ob hinted it would be good for bub to go head down soon, and I've said it many times already on BB, I started doing 'tummy time' twice a day every day. Draped over a fit ball for 10 mins, with my knees on pillows, then sitting on it and rocking for another 10. Sitting backwards on/over a chair whilst I watched tv too (not all the time but for 10 min here and there) and I was careful not to lounge back so she didn't go posterior when she did go head down. Within 2 weeks she was head down and stayed that way. I still can't say if all that effort moved her, or she would have moved herself anyways, but it gave me a focus and positive attitude iykwim?

Tell yourself that bub will find the perfect position for the birth you desire and start that tummy time It's good your Ob didn't seem worried too, remind yourself of that when you start worrying, as some bubs just take a little while to get into position. Good luck!

I wouldn't be too worried at this stage, but if you are not already then perhaps consider seeing a chiropractor who can release any pressure on your hips which might be stopping bub going head down. Also acupuncture has great success at turning babies.

But the most important thing is lost of hands and knees time, and try not to slouch on the sofa. Good positioning for you will affect bub. Good luck!

Cheeky bubba. Stressing you out now!
    Maybe you should check out the spinning babies website. Get down on your hands & knees & scrub the floor!
    Just don't forget that it is possible to birth breech, bottom first. Not sure how it'll affect your home birth though.

Just for some confidence, a friend of mine was told her twins would need to be delivered via c-section coz one was breech, but then at almost every appointment they switched places.
    We really thought by 36 weeks there would be no room left for them to turn in that tiny belly of hers soon, but they both headed downwards around then & were born vaginally at 37+4.
    There is plenty of time left yet

Chiro might be hard at this stage if you've never seen one before as they prefer to have x-rays to work with, but I highly recommend Bowen Therapy - my practicioner treats a lot of women for malpositioned babies with great success so maybe see if you can find one in your area? Also get onto the spinning babies website for tips as well

I started seeing a chiro when I was ovulating so opted not to have an x-ray just in case (which was good as I conceived that ovulation) and there has never been a problem.

I can also ditto what Cover says about babies turning in the least likely of spaces, as my 2nd twin was breech until a few hours before I went into labour.

My baby just turned from breech to cephalic last week (35 weeks) I wouldn't be worried just yet You can try some things from the spinning babies site, they can't hurt.

xx

feeb is offline Thankful for the kindness of my 2012 RAK making me Life member

Dont stress yet plenty of time for baby to turn to cephalic.

Avoid slouching on couch. Hands and knees, fit ball, sit back wards on a dining table chair can all help.

DD was transverse, and went posterior during labour, my OB helped to turn her, and she was delivered vaginally and quickly

I would go to spinning babies, I have been doing inversions as bub is breech again and I need to get bubs back to Celphic ASAP as I have a septum which is restricting movement. I also used Moxa Sticks (Moxibustion) to get bub to spin earlier along with accupuncture. They are both worth a shot, but generally not until about 32 weeks. But the inversions are safe to do now

Take care and spin baby spin!!!!!

DD2 was transverse or breach until 36 weeks, she kept flipping half way. Then I started crawling around the floor alot (although not easy with SPD) and I was doing mini handstands in the shower at night and she flipped just after 36 weeks

i had a tranverse bub, both my boys turned constantly til the day they were born! i found out i had extra fluid which was helping them do so, as doctors were confused as i was teeny and my belly was stretched to max! they can turn but their are chances they might turn again my sisters bub was breech then turned for labour then went breech again, unfortuantly we have had c sections, but fingers crossed bubs wants to be good and you are given a natural birth. hopefully when your closer to due date things are worked out or they'll see if they can turn bubs for you so you can have a shot at natural. xxx

Quote Originally Posted by Arimeh's Eden View Post
    DD2 was transverse or breach until 36 weeks, she kept flipping half way. Then I started crawling around the floor alot (although not easy with SPD) and I was doing mini handstands in the shower at night and she flipped just after 36 weeks
    I'm getting the most interesting visials from your post mel

My little one is breach right now too at 29 weeks. I was told not to worry about it until 34-36 weeks as it will more than likely turn.

Thinking of you though and sending 'spinning' thoughts xx

Default freaking out - transverse???

I tried:
    Bowen therapy
    Osteopathy
    Chiro
    Acupuncture
    Moxibustion
    Spinning Babies postures
    and finally had an ECV at 36 weeks which was successful.

On the other hand, one of my Belly Buddies had a breech bub who turned on her own after 36weeks, without intervention. Perhaps Archie would have done the same had I not done the ECV? Who knows?

There was some concern about my pelvis not opening up enough for him - he also didn't engage until I had chiro at 41weeks, and went into labour later that day. My Doula says next time I'll have to do chiro from the beginning cause there's possibly some problem with my sacrum. (??)

Good luck!

I'm pretty sure my two were later than that when they turned;
    With Beth I didn't know it was meant to happen. I was asleep and thought she was trying to get out through my belly.
    I'm sure it will be fine, chick x

Just to reassure, my friend is 39 weeks pregnant with her third and the presentation was a sort of breech/transverse (feet to the left, head to the right, bum in pelvis). She had an ECV yesterday and bub is now head in pelvis, ready to go for a vaginal birth.

Hey,

I had a transverse bubby (see birth story) which was "discovered" by my ob and midwife at 39 weeks despite me telling them that she'd been that way for WEEKS!
    Anyway, I was admitted to hospital that day, spent the easter weekend in hospital and had a semi elective c-section at 40w2d. I chose not to have an ECV as it really hurt even when the ob had a feel of my tummy. Bubby was VERY transverse though, head to the left, bum to the right and her back was facing out wards. I almost had to have a T cut c-section but thankfully on the day of the procedure she had ever so slightly moved down.

Anyway, your baby still has loads of room to move. But keep an eye on it yourself and DON'T be bullied into anything you don't want to do. The risk with transverse so late in pregnancy (ie the reason I was admitted at 39w) is that if your waters break the cord could come first because there is no head to plug off your cervix. I don't mean to freak you out - but make sure and get satisfactory answers from your Ob at each appointment.

Hugs
    Sue xxx

hey Rory,

Just wanted to see how you have gone with this? My bub is transverse too and even though doc said not to worry - I AM, of course!! I want to avoid C-section with everything possible and it has been playing on my mind a lot too. Its getting me really down to think i might have to go that way

Hey Rory (and also Nikki),

I have the same thing - I was told by my OB last Monday that my bub is also in a transverse position (although sideways on an angle position) with his head down the low right side and his bum up on the left side above my belly button. My OB told me that it's nothing to worry about because baby is head down and it was still early and that baby would probably turn on his own closer to 36 weeks onwards. I took to "Dr Google" on transverse baby positions and got a bit freaked out too and worried because I would love for NOTHING more than to have baby vaginally and naturally and also want to avoid having a c-section.

I know it's hard and I know there isn't anything I can say to make you feel less worried about it, but I'm trying to think positive and not stress about it too much at this stage, especially since my OB said it wasn't anything to worry about and there is still time for bubs to turn the right way.

Thinking of you honey!