Thread: Frozen Meat Question

Question Frozen Meat Question

Hi all,

I have a question about Frozen Meat. I always put the meat straight into the freezer when buying it. Last night I took out a Pork Fillet that is wrapped (straight from supermarket) but has the date of 16 August 2006 on it. I put it in the microwave last night to defrost overnight (for tonight) but I am worried - should it be ok for me to cook this and eat it? ???

Hello,

The expiry date doesn't matter, note that after 2-3 mths the nurtients begin to be lost in the frozen meat.

I would only defrost it and eat it in the same night, especially if u r doing it in the microwave as the microwave will add some heat which will then cause bacteria to start growing whilst its waiting to be eaten again.

Straight into the freezer, defrosted and then straight into your tummy is my policy and I grew up with a father who worked around meat all his life and he says u can never be too cautious when u don't know what to look for.

Thanks Delicate Dove.

Mum and Dad and DH say that it should be ok, but I think I will go and buy an extra one. Its just that I took it out last night and left it in the microwave (although going to be cooking it in oven).

But I think to keep my mind at ease I will buy another one.

Thanks

If you left it in the microwave overnight then 100% I wouldn't eat it. unless it was still very very cold like fridge cold.

now, i'm by no means a food nazi (i am eating EVERYTHING including cold meats and soft cheese - as long as they're from our usual suppliers from whom i've never been poisoned!), but i would definitely NOT EAT meat that had been left unrefridgerated - whether i was PG or not. it's not so much the expiry date that would bother me, but any meat defrosted should be kept cold until cooking it. the microwave wouldn't have kept it cold enough...

Thanks ladies!!

Well maybe I shouldn't give it to my parents and DH then either LOL.

That is scary as we do that a lot, leave it defrosting in the microwave. I think I may have done that 2-3 times during this pg....now I feel SO BAD AND PARANOID!!

Thanks heaps - knew I would find help here.

Floss xx

Just FYI for next time, meat that has been frozen *should* last for 1 year from the date it was manufactured.

Just to add when defrosting you should defrost in the fridge

Thanks! I scrapped the dinner last night and got a nice roast chook - in vul e vants heated up in the oven with yummy lemon chicken sauce yummy!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks again!