Thread: Fundal height is way ahead of dates

Default Fundal height is way ahead of dates

I'm 30 weeks pregnant, but my uterus is measuring 36 weeks. When I was 24 weeks, it was measuring 2 weeks behind.

So I'm wondering, is a 6 week variant at this time normal? IT was 35cm last week.

I have heard of ladies getting scans for size when only measuring 2 weeks ahead, and here I am at 6 weeks ahead.

So should I be asking more about this? My GP is more worried about the BP at the moment which is high and I'm on weekly visits now, we didn't discuss the consistanly high FH due to the other factors of PE it didn't seem important at the moment.

Does fundal height really mean anything?

You might just have a good sized baby in there or it could be nothing. Like Fletchie has said I believe that growth restriction can be more of an issue with high BP. I measured weeks ahead with Sammy too. He was 9lbs 4oz so quite a good size. I suggest if you are concerned that you contact your Dr and discuss your concerns.

Jo

Hi there , with my 3 i measured 46 weeks when i was 40 weeks, he was nearly 10lb, they checked for diabeties,nothing.He was a normal healthy baby and a big boy now. I am only 5foot he was heavy to carry .All the best

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Its a very inaccurate indicator of development as it changes based on baby's position, fluid levels, length etc... so nothing to worry about
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children

BellyBelly Birth & Early Parenting Immersion - Find out how to have a BETTER, more confident birth experience... guaranteed!
    Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know

Yeah I think Kelly is right. I was told they only use this measurement as a guide, I would try not to worry.
    Hope all goes well.

I measured around 9 cms bigger at every appt from 30 weeks onward with Harrison... he was born 7lb 10oz and 51cms

THanks heaps girls for your reply.

Thanks Kelly, I had the feeling it means nothing like measuring size by scans. Im glad my dr obviously thinks the same way and isn't trying to rush me to a scan or anything like that like I've heard others needing.

I'd be way more worried if I was measuring too small. The only thing that worries me about measuring this big is that my EDD is out as I never had a LMP date to go on (absense of periods for over 6 months) and the baby was scan dated. I really don't want to go early!

Thanks again

I think at some stage, it normally evens out, just your uterus can grow at different rates. At 20 weeks I was measuring 27, and got very large and very high up quickly, but now at 27 weeks I am measuring 29 because the growing has slowed down (thank goodness!!)

A lot of hospitals no longer check the fundal height because it is so inaccurate. There are many things that influence the fudal height.
    Baby position.
    Mum's position
    amount of fluid
    accuracy of person measuring
    When mum last had a large lunch
    Constipation
    and the list goes on.........

My fundal height was always out. I was always bigger than 'normal'. But I've always carried big, have lots of fluid around bubs, carry 'out', and DS was 9lb 1oz born, so don't sweat it.