Thread: Fundus Measurements????

Default Fundus Measurements????

Well currently i'm 31 weeks preg...second pregnancy.

Just wondering at a check up at 21week my measurements were 24 weeks but within the next check up at 26 weeks my measurements were 26. i then started fortnightly visits and my appointment at 28 weeks i measured 29. Next visit 31 weeks i measured 33....

Does this mean that i'm having a big baby or that my dates could be wrong????

As i dont get a monthly we werent sure of my EDD and went by 12 week US date. Are these accurate???

Any help would be great- thanks

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Don't stress with this one. The fundal height changes depending on fluid levels, baby's position, baby's length and all that... so not as accurate as you would think. Your baby will be perfect.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

The fundal height measurment is so inaccurate for estimating the size of your baby that many places no longer bother doing it. I'm sure that your baby is growing normally

Yep, my ob NEVER bothered measuring. He just felt the baby and was very accurate with his prediction - between 8.5 and 9 pounds. She was 8lb 10oz. He said after delivering 3000 babies, he's normally pretty good at predicting these days! So no measuring and no scans (well apart from the 12 and 20 week ones).

Hey fionas

That Ob sounds like a keeper. Hang on to that one

Thanks everyone... I have a scan on wednesday to check fluid levels as i have also been told i have low fluid... But at least the measurements are one less thing to worry bout now...

This is one gripe I have about the midwives at my birth centre... I always measure a couple of centimetres ahead and most of them go on about how HUGE my belly is Fortunately I don't care cause I don't see it as reliable or having any bearing on anything but you would think they would know that too...
    Don't worry about it- just take the info as a bit of trivia

Don't worry Alan - definitely hanging on to him. He's a gem. Only wish he was a GP, paediatrician, dentist and physiotherapist rolled into one. I generally can't stand anyone medical after numerous bad experiences but I would trust that man with my life. And obviously my baby's!!!

LOL- my fundal height measures at only 10th percentile, but my baby measures 2 weeks ahead of my weeks. It's all a bit silly really, and people get so hung up about it. Same thing happened in my 1st preg, my fh was always really low, so my midwife was surprised when ds was nearly 9 pounds.