Thread: furniture question

littlerigger Guest

Default furniture question

If you're planning on using a tallboy as a change table, how tall should it be?

probably at a height that you can do stuff on the top without having to bend at a funny angle - maybe around hip height.

kirsty Guest

I would say around hip height, means you don't have as far to bend so less pressure on your back.

I used a table with very think change mat on top. The table was probably at the wide part of hips (butt height) (below hip bone) and would be the absolute minimum. If you were buying something specially I'd go with what the others have said and go at least hip bone height if not higher you want to avoid bending whereever possible - you work your back hard enough without having to overdo the bending when changing.

The baby should lie between your waist and your elbow if you want to avoid bending. Keep in mind the change table pillows which I assume you'll be using are quite thick. My change table comes to about the height of my belly button and I certainly wouldn't want it any lower than that. HTH.

littlerigger Guest

Thanks guys I'm going to hit a few second hand shops this weekend. We're doing "nursery on a budget" so I'll see what I can find at a suitable height that just needs stripping and re-staining

Hi Candy

Don't forget the Tuesday classifieds in the Canberra Times - there is usually heaps of baby stuff for sale in them (and some of the weird items that come up are always good for a laugh as well!)

Taff