Thread: Gardening while pregnant

Default Gardening while pregnant

We're going to be doing quite a bit of gardening(re-doing the whole front garden). Is there anything i can't do/touch while pregnant?

Cat poo is the main thing to watch out for. Toxoplasmois (sp?) can cause big probs in pg women (misscarriage/still birth/birth defects) BUT saying that, its actually pretty hard to get it. 1) the cat needs to be a carrier, 2) the cat poo needs to be more then 24 hours old, 3) you need to have never been exposed to it before. If you have cats chances are you have been exposed to it (it just like having a cold) & are now immune. Just wear gloves & wash your hands after your done & of course before you eat anything. I am pretty sure it needs to make contact with your mouth, eyes or an open wound to infect you.
    People who work in slaughter house's have more chance of getting it then a cat owner.

Well i don't own a cat, but neighbour does, so will have to keep an eye out for any droppings, thanks!

I stayed away from potting mix. That stuff is bad to breathe in at the best of times. Same would probably go for mulches etc.

I'd also be careful not to over do it. My back hurt for quite a while after a fridge cleaning frenzy.. dunno how I would have coped with heaps of gardening!

Have fun tho! I love gardening

I was going to say the same as Ivana, pottingmix isn't the greatest thing to be around even when your not pregnant.

Goodluck with the gardening hun and take it easy