Thread: Gaviscon??

Default Gaviscon??

I don't know if you guys have this brand in Aus, but here goes. It's advertised as safe during pg and were given to me at the pharmacy as "better and safer than Rennies"

I have been suffering extreme heartburn lately (pg related off course) and have been drinking Gaviscon, quite a lot tbh just because it work with in seconds and it really gives relief.

Like this afternoon I had a cup of potato soup and two slices of bread. I was fine then about a hour after that I took two panado for this darn headflu and I washed it down with some water and OH BOY ..... I took 10ml Gaviscon and it was much better. Then I had some tea about a hour and a half after the panado and my heartburn returned, so I had another 5ml Gaviscon. I'll probably have some more tonight just before bed.

My question is ... when is it too much, kwim?? Can I drink so much of the Gaviscon???

Any other tips to keep the heartburn down?? I am starting to eat smaller meals, but it seems that my problem is with liquid, even swallowing my spit gives me heartburn . If I drink something ...BLAM... heartburn.

Please, please, please help me!!

Have you tried fruit tingles (lol can you get them there?)
    some women here swear by them!

LOL Nah!!! Don't get them here, sure that I could find something that taste the same, but have NO IDEA WHAT FRUIT TINGELS are!!! And I thought it was for m/s?? Does it help for heartburn also?

I've heard of it for heartburn! Do you think i could send them O/S - no harm in trying them out if i can

O/S?? Overseas?? Hun you are a darling, but I think the postage will be totally not worth a tube of fruity-sweets, but thank you so much for offering Just tell me, is it a boiled sweet, or like a jelly type of sweet?

I just had to take some more, because I almost gagged on my computer keyboard

I think I might just phone my dr ... he'll probaby know

It's like a tangy sherbert flavoured fruity lolly. IYKWIM!!

Ah HA!! I know of these little round sweeties that you get around here ... tangy sherbert fruit thingies ... Have not seen it in a while. If I get some I'll give it a go. Thanks.

Just go off the phone with the dr. Said I can have 5ml every 4 hours ... ok, so I'll only drink/eat something every 4 hours ... I can manage that ... right???

Aww sorry hun Hope it buggers off reeeally soon!

Oh lordy - I practically LIVED on Gaviscon. If they made one of those beer can hats with the tube but with Gaviscon in it, I would have worn it....

LOL Lulu!!! I can just picture a row of pg women with Gaviscon beer-hats cheering some footyball!!

Somehow it's beter today. Still have my bottle Gaviscon in my bag .. just incase it flares up after 3 o'clock tea.

Hi there

I suffer from really bad heartburn too at the moment- so bad that I wasn't getting any sleep and would get reflux from drinking water.

I was taking Mylanta, Gaviscon, Tums and Rennies (at different times because I'd get so sick of the taste I'd gag ), but I needed to take WAY more than the recommended dose. I'd take them all throughout the day- regardless of how much or what I ate and then I'd wake up in the middle of the night 3 or 4 times and need to take something.

Anyway, at my OB appt yesterday he recommended I use Zantac. I am very cautious about drugs during pregnancy but he assured me it's class B (like most drugs- which pregnant woman would want to be a guinea pig to see if a drug affects their unborn baby??). He also mentioned you can get magnesium poisoning from taking too many antacids, and prolonged reflux can cause permanent damage to the oesophegus (just so you know he does not push drugs on patients- he's not that kind of OB). I still was only getting relief for an hour or so anyway.

So yesterday I took my first does of Zantac (one in the morning and one at night) and OMG I wish I had found it sooner! I had the best night sleep I've had in a long time and did not have a single second of reflux.

Sorry this is so long, but reflux was really making me miserable and I'm so glad I finally have some relief. I just thought I'd share this story so if you are feeling the same way, or it progresses to be really bad you could maybe discuss this with your OB.

Oh and as sad as I am to say it- Fruit Tingles did nothing for me except make me gassy . I must be immune to their magic

I hope this helps

Lulu... I think there's an ad exactly like that on tv atm! haha it's soooo funny.

Thanks for sharing peekay.

I did infact call my ob and he said 5ml Gaviscon every four hours ... or drink less water, slower!

I have decided that I am not taking it every four hours, because it's not that bad in the mornings than it is during the afternoon and evenings. So I am trying to focus on smaller lunches with less acid, sugar and fat. And skipping my afternoon tea and just trying to take some small sips of water during the afternoon. Then I'll have my main meal (dinner) and if I have some heartburn after that ... I'll take the full recommended dose of 10ml.

I don't know Zantac, but if I do not get this under control with above plan, I am seeing my ob again on the 15th of August and I'll ask about it. Thanks for the tip

Did you find that taking all that ant-acids makes you consitpated??? DH had really, really bad reflux as result of a tear in his diaphragm (we had him fixed ... twice) and he would get extreamly constipated from the Losec that the dr prescribed.

Have to say i to drank gaviscon like a can of cool drink with DS, i had a bottle out the back of work and would go out every so often for a swig i have already got stuck in with this pregnancy it definatly is the best for "keeping everything down" i even found it better than zantac and at that time zantac was prescription only med.

missmandy Guest

Hi there!
    Just a couple suggestions - walking around really helped me. Taking deep breaths and changing positions while walking around slowly helped a ton. It's all due to your uterus pushing on everything, so gentle movement and relaxation can help a lot. If you're having a hard time you really have to ask your OBGYN - but PLEASE stay hydrated! Cutting back too much on water can do more harm than good! It's a terrible feeling, the persistent heartburn - lying down to sleep is awful! I started Zantac after a few weeks of sleeplessness and lived on Gaviscon tablets. They're convenient and I find they work better than liquid!

Good luck!!
    M

Thanks M ... I have been neglecting my water intake, mainly because it agrivates the heartburn. I am proud to say that today I have had two glasses already and it's only just past noon .. my goal is to have six before bed time. I get extreamly thirsty after dinner, so I get lots of fluid in then, but that is also when being full and having something (diluted applejuice) sloss around in your tummy is just a killer.

I'm coping ... actually after last night's fab dinner of roast lamb, baked potato and green salad, I had no heartburn ... not even after the two pieces of chocolate .... GREAT!!