Thread: Giving birth in NZ - what are my options?

Default Giving birth in NZ - what are my options?

Hi all,

DH has just gotten a job offer in New Zealand, so we will be moving in the next couple weeks! Only thing is I'm due in Nov, so will have to figure out my birthing options over there.

Does anyone know what the deal is with Australian citizens giving birth in NZ? I was going to go public here, which is free, but from what I've been able to find I'm not sure I will have all the same resources available to me over there as an Australian.

Has anyone got any experience with this, or know of anyone who has done the same?

Default Re: Giving birth in NZ - what are my options?

You will be able to access our maternity system free of charge as long as you intend to live here for 2 years. You may need to show a work contract as proof of intention to live here. You will have the choice of going see-whoever-is-on-shift through a hospital, or you can get your own lead maternity carer who will often do your choice of home or clinic visits for the pregnancy care and then assist delivery in hospital. Or you can home birth. All free

Where in NZ are you going? You might want to contact a midwife in your new area to book in so you don't arrive and find everyone fully booked.

Thanks Artechim His contract will only be for max 1 year, so not long enough for the 2 year requirement. What if we are there for only a short term, does it work differently? Or maybe I'll just have to get an IM and do it that way?

We'll be in Wellington - any suggestions where I can look to find a midwife?

The wording says intends. Tell them you are intending two years. If it makes you feel better, tonnes of NZ ladies move to Australia and go through the maternity system there (myself included) - it is only fair we get some back the other way There isn't really such a thing as an IM here because most of the practice midwives are independent but govt funded itms.

[url=http://www.findamidwife.org.nz/how-to-find-a-midwife/]How to find a Midwife | Find a MidWife[/url]

How far along are you? That page recommends finding a midwife before 14 weeks, so if you are close to that you should contact a few soon and see if they will save you a spot because they do book out. Otherwise you will end up going through the hospital system, which there is no problem with but it is nice to have the same midwife team for all your pregnancy, birth and post baby care. They will come for home visits for the first 6 weeks after baby

Do you have other children?

Oh great thanks for the link - I'm 10 weeks, I'll start trying to find one now then! I'd prefer having the same midwife throughout but will just have to take what I can get at this stage. We are intending to stay longer, just depends on work so hopefully it will work out for us!

This will be my first bub Even more exciting now that we'll be in a different country! How long have you been in Australia? Have you had all your kids here?

I was in Australia for a few years but moved back to NZ when my first was a baby. I have been back for 7 years now and had my other two babies here.

Try to get out and meet people before and after bub is born so you have a bit of support and company.

Hey Artechim, just letting you know I've found a MW and she seems to be sorting everything out for me (thank goodness!). I really like the system here, seems much better than in Adelaide where I would've most likely gotten a different MW at the hospital for every visit!

One of the MW groups has a coffee morning once a month, I'll aim to go to their next one (next week I think!) - will be good to meet some other mums and mums-to-be! Thanks for all your advice x

It is a fantastic system here I hope the move went smoothly for you. Good luck with the pre-natal group, it would be great for you to meet some people so you have a network going by the time baby arrives.

I am sure you are thrilled with the fabulous weather you have arrived into!

Omgosh the weather! It was lovely for a little while, but the last few days have been non stop wind! I just wear my beanie and my puffy jacket whenever I go out lol. Although not sure how much longer I'll be able to zip up my jacket!