Thread: glucose test

Default glucose test

i am a little confused about getting the glucose test now that i have spoken to two pathology centres. the first one said it was an 8 hour fasting test that takes 3 hours. i then rang a branch closer to home and they said no i dont have to fast and it takes one hour. on the doctors referral form it is written 'Glucose tolerance test' and she has hand written underneath it '1 hour'. can anyone shed some light about fasting or not. these are both sullivan and nicolades pathology centres but just different branches.

Tigergirl1980 Guest

With the 1 hour one you do not need to fast only with the 3 hour one do you need to do that and you will only need the 3 hour one if your level is on the high side with the 1 hour one.

When you ring, tell them it's for the glucose 'challenge'. I had exactly the same problem.

Yep, it's the Glucose challenge test that you need in pg. You don't fast and it takes and hour, they give you the drink, wait an hour then take your blood.

Hi there

There are two glucose tests..

the GCT - Glucose Challenge Test (1hr test no fasting and 1 blood test)
    The GTT - Glucose Tolerance Test (3hr test, fasting and eating high carb for 3 days before test and 3 blood tests done during the 3hrs of testing)

Maybe your doc meant to write down GCT instead of GTT if she wrote 1hr underneath??

Both are for pregnancy or someone who needs their insulin resistance/sugar levels tested. Ive had to to the GTT test at 10 weeks in pregnancy and have another one at 26 weeks asI have insulin issues.

What does your blood test form say? the GTT is the 75g test.. sometimes your doc will get you to do the GCT first and if you pass you will not need to do the GTT test. However if you fail the GCT they will ask you to come back soon to do the GTT test..

If you are to do the GTT test call the blood company and ask if they can send you the form on fasting as they tell you how to fast and what to eat in the 3 days leading up to the test.

Hope that helps

Bel
    xxx

Red face giorma concept

Quote Originally Posted by Hollo View Post
    i am a little confused about getting the glucose test now that i have spoken to two pathology centres. the first one said it was an 8 hour fasting test that takes 3 hours. i then rang a branch closer to home and they said no i dont have to fast and it takes one hour. on the doctors referral form it is written 'Glucose tolerance test' and she has hand written underneath it '1 hour'. can anyone shed some light about fasting or not. these are both sullivan and nicolades pathology centres but just different branches.
    Always morning time is the best