Thread: Green Discharge...

Default Green Discharge...

Hi im 39weeks + 5 days. I just noticed some green EWCM when I went to the toilet. Its a really small amount, under a teaspoonsworth. Im a little worried on what to do. My GP has now left the country (she is a dr with drs without borders). Do I not worry about it and tell the Obs on friday at ANC or what? I also have GBS if thats a need peice of info.

TIA

If your worried you can call the midwives at the hospital and they could give you some advice. It might be your plug but I don't know if it being green is bad or not.
    HTH

Thanks amanda.

I just spoke to a friend and she said it could also be the plug. I've placed myself on "discharge watch" i havent had any more. I actually feel like a fool with this all.

Thanks

It could be the plug but I haven't really heard of it being green before. I think that generally when you have green discharge its worth ringing your midwives and even popping into the hospital to get them to check bubba is ok. Don't feel silly about calling your midwives that's what they're there for and its much better to find out that bubs is ok and feel a bit like a worrywart than to ignore something that doesn't feel quite right.

Don't worry about feeling like a fool.. I was on "discharge watch" towards the end of my pg too.. looking for any signs of my plug and hoping that it would mean it was all starting...as it was i went over by two weeks on my dates and ended up being induced without ever seeing my plug. I'm sure we're not the first that have done this lol

I have been told my my midwife to call them and ask them about yellow/green discharge, could be sign of infection or something wrong as the plug should be clear or lightly blood stained. I would call them and ask just to be safe.

Could be the plug - I had greeny discharge for 2-3 weeks when mine was being formed. That was very scarey as I had a few days of green before I found out why! Tell the Obs anyway just to put your mind at rest.

i did end up calling and heading down to the brithing suite last night. The ran some tests and all that. Should be back by wed. Bubs is all good...even thou head has becoming un-engaged!!! Cervic is close, hard and yeah plug is stillthere.

Thanks for all the advice, it was very much appreciated.

green discharge is usually associated with an infection, generally thrush which can be treated and does not harm the baby. It is usually like a thick mucous green in colour. you still need to advise your ob or doctor as soon as you become aware of it so they can test what it is. When your waters break, if you notice that is is coloured green then you need to inform your midwife straight away!! This could mean that the baby has had bowel movements inside your tummy and may of swallowed it.

Yummy mummy I am glad that you popped in to the hospital and had a swab taken. Anything a bit unusual should be checked out.
    Green discharge can mean infection but it also can be due to the hormonal changesin pregnancy giving a bit of unusal colour to your vaginal fluid. I would err more toward movement at the station - your vaginal fluid will be whitish yellowish and that mixed with a little brown makes green! This is something that is not at all unusual this late in pregnany when your body is preparing for labour. Your 'mucous plug' doesn't necessarily come away all at once and can be slowly bit by bit. Sometimes the 'plug' is greyish, bright red streaks, dark red streaks, brown and yes even a bit yellowy green.
    Lots of good labour vibes to you as within the next couple of weeks your baby will be here!