Thread: Group B Strep

grouchfrog Guest

Default Group B Strep

I've been reading the boards for a while and have found them to be very comforting and informative, but this is my first post.

I am 13 wks pregnant and receive my primary prenatal care from a nurse midwife, whom I like very much. Unless there are complications, I will deliver at a freestanding birth center. Last week I learned that I have strep B colinization, which can be harmful if my newborn contracts the bacteria from me during labor. The nurse midwife has informed me that the birth center modifies its customary treatment in strep B cases as follows:
    1. Mom receives antibiotic by IV at least every 4 hours during labor.
    2. Mom and baby stay at the Birth Center for at least 12 hours following delivery (instead of the normal average of 6 hours), so baby can be monitored.
    3. RN makes a home visit to check on baby within the first 24 hours (instead of the first 72 hours).

I am wondering whether anyone else has been treated for strep B while delivering in a hospital or birth center, and if so, how your treatment compared to this. Also, I would be interested to hear the types of questions other people with Strep B colinization asked their caregivers or bits of information you found helpful. For example, were you able to complete early labor at home, or did you have to go straight to the hospital for the IV?

I don't want to worry too much about this and I think I would feel better knowing how others have handled it. Anyone have info. to share?

Grouchfrog

Welcome Grouchfrog! I haven't been tested for strep B as yet. My understanding is it's quite common, but it comes and goes all the time, so they test just before labour to see whether you need the drip etc. The fact that you have it now doesn't necessarily mean you'll have it then. If you know what I mean? That's how it's been explained to us in our classes and by the dr anyway.

The fact that they know it's a possibility tho I guess is good, and apparently it doesn't pose too much risk if they know you have it, coz it's easily treated.

Congrats on your pregnancy btw

katherine Guest

Hi Grouchfrog,

I had my dd in 2004 and I had also tested positive for Group Strep B. I had to call the hospital as soon as my waters broke and remind them that I was Strep B positive. They got me to come straight in so that I could be put on a drip. This is exactly what my OB said would happen, so I couldn't complete early labor at home as waters breaking was the first thing that happened.

To be honest, I'm not sure what happened afterwards, I was in hospital for five days so I guess bub was monitored, but I can't specify for you.

It's good you were tested, apparently not everyone is and this condition can be devastating if this simple precaution is not taken.

Hope I helped

Kathy

Hi grouchfrog

Strep B is very common, and it is very easily treated. As others have said it does come and go. The treatment you describe sounds perfect to me

Hi Grouchfrog and welcome to BB.

I was Strep B + with my DS's birth last June. I started labour at 3.30pm with 5 min apart contractions. I think I called the hospital about 4pm and they said I should come in, not to rush but get in fairly quickly all the same. Well by 4.30pm my contractions were at 2 min apart. It took until 6.45pm for us to get into the hospital... all to do with juggling my DD, but back to the story. By the time I was in hospital it and been put on the drip I had only been on it for 2 hours when I delivered. (5 hours labour all up) I had been told I needed to be on the antibiotic drip for 4 hours prior to birth to get enough drugs into me so the Strep B wouldn't be passed to my son. As I had such a short labour I didnt' get enough drugs into me.

They did a blood test to check my son when he was about 15 hours old, to see if he had any complications due to Strep B. Well his blood count wasn't right - it was affected by whatever Strep B affects - sorry can't remember what it was - and he had to be on antibiotics twice a day for 5 days. He had a bung (IV access site) put in his arm so they could syringe the drugs into him.

He was allowed to room in with me however we had to go to the Special Care Nursery (SCN) twice a day to get the drugs administered and also have the bung flushed with saline so it stayed open and accessible as it should.

The staff in the SCN were fantastic, so supportive to both Blake and I. Although I hope your labour is long enough to get the antibiotics through your system to your baby, if your child has to go on a course of drugs due to Strep B cross over, I'm sure he/she will be in good hands.

bruky Guest

Hiya Grouchfrog

I found out yesterday that I tested + for Strep B too...grrrrr

I read up a bit about it on the net but that scared me a bit but the stats were pretty good too...from what I understand without antibiotics only 1-2% would be infected??? (Alan might be able to clear that up for us??)

My midwife seems to be doing the same as you mentioned above...she just said 24 hour monitoring instead of 12 but more or less the same.

My labours are fast #1 was 4 hrs and #2 wsa 1hr so we are hoping that I will have enough time to even get the antibiotics in.

I have heard its so common so am not too worried about it all but just want my baby to come out the other end ok...good luck with your labour

PS: I'm not sure if this is right either but did see it listed...the quicker the labour the less chance of baby being infected??? but in saying that I just read wardygirls story and that wasnt the case for you?? At least bubby was ok in the long run O