Thread: GTT Test confused???

Default GTT Test confused???

I have my GTT test tomorrow as apparently Im high risk:?

But my Dr told me i had to fast for 8 hours before the test, then when I booked in for tomorrow at pathology I was told to eat a normal breakfast? Do I fast or not...please help, I do not want to do the test once let alson have to do it again and tomorrow is the only day I have off work...

For the standard GD test you do not need to fast, but i think the GTT test is the next step up, usually asked for if the first comes back a bit iffy or if you have had GD before. For this one i believe (pls someone correct me if im wrong) but you will need to fast.

Just take some food with you to have in the car when you have finished. you can drink water before hand but no gum

Thanks will do, for some reason it is the GTT test the 3 hour one.

I did not have the first one.

Sometimes if a doctor classes you as high risk they will skip the first one altogether. I would fast as well, I had to with mine both the screening and the full one.

For my gtt test I had to fast for 12 hours. Be prepared and take a book with u. U will be there for 2 hours

thanks so nothing but water for eight hours right?

Sorry teresa did not see your post nothing for 12 hours...cool my test is at 7:30 so will have an early tea..

Question i have really bad heart burn can i still have my tumms?

thats right.

Water is fine. Enables the venupuncturist to get blood from u. Tumms is fine to take. I lived on Zantac in the final couple of months of my pregnancy! Lol definately don't miss the heartburn

There is nothing in Tums that would affect your GTT (they are chalk) but ask when you get there - I wouldn't take them beforehand. If you are not eating, hopefully you won't have heartburn, though that sickly sugary drink will probably give it to you. It gave it to me. I love my Tums while I am pregnant as well

The pathology lab was probably confused about what your doctor has given you the form for and recommended you eat because they think you are having a GCT rather than a GTT, especially if they haven't seen the form. I would say they are just making an assumption based on routine procedures of it being your first test, but it is not that unusual for doctors to send you straight for a GTT if you are considered high risk.

Good luck with your test tomorrow.

thanks guys looks like a night of heartburn ahead i just really hope the test does not come back positive

The problem that you may face with the GTT is that you are supposed to be on a high-carb diet for three days before hand. It's definitely a fasting test... You may find that when you get there you will just have to rebook for another time and then do the whole diet thing before hand.

If there's any flavouring or sweetening agents in the tumms then you will not be able to take them in the 12 hours before the test, or during the test.

I was classified as high risk for GD with my pregnancy. I skipped the GCT completely and had to do two of the 2-hour GTTs during my pregnancy. The first was at something like 17 weeks. Both came back fine - high risk doesn't necessarily mean that you will get it.

BW

What BW says is true, however my Obstetrician stated that he did not want me to follow the special diet, and to tell the pathology lab so when I went in for the test. So while a lot of patients do the diet, it is not always necessary.

Can I say that I have had three of the full tests now and not once was I ever told I had to follow a high carb diet beforehand (and I passed all three). And they were booked by three different doctors as well. I would say just fast, try not to take anything beforehand just to be on the safe side, and then ask about the tumms when you get there.

I have had 3 GTT tests done too and never had to change my diet before the test either
    U WILL have to fast or it will be a waste of time and u will have to go back again. I took a book with me 1 time but found it made me tired (then I actually passed out) Take a sandwich or something u can leave in the car for when u get out cos u will be starving.