Thread: Guessing weight

Default Guessing weight

I had an u/s this morning & I know its not 100% at giving you an idea on the size of the baby. BUT I was wondering, if the messurments (HC, abdoCirc etc) are all pretty spot on seems they actually messure these things. So what I want to know, Could she be smaller then what she thinks or only bigger? She thought she was about 8 & half pounds. I am assuming thats going off the messurements.

I have heard of babies being smaller than their predicted weight, I don't know about larger. Only way to know for sure is to see bubba in the flesh I guess!

Oh Ok, see I figure that the messurements (head etc) would be reasonalbly spot on seems they are messuring those, not guessing. Then I assum they go off those messurments & have an average of what a baby weighs for those messurments & thats how they give you a weight. So I figured that if the messurments are correct then she could only really weigh more not less. I dunno, she seemed pretty sure that she was 8lb+. But then back at the 32 week u/s the guy said she would be my smallest baby yet (my smallest being Evan at 7lb 8oz). Then the midwife also said 2 weeks ago that she was tiny & be luck if she was 7lb. Now this u/s the women says 8lb+. she has a smaller head then the boys had. Even though Glenn was 8lb 3oz his head was still 37cm. But they did say he had a big head for his body weight. I dunno I guess I will find out soon enough!

Also I read that babies don't grow a hell of alot after teh 38 weeks mark, just put on weight. Is that true? Like is her head likely to remain about 35cm? or could she still get bigger if she stays in there longer?

The measurements are probably pretty accurate, but I would think that it is hard to be accurate with the weight. I have also read that after 38 (or maybe 36?) weeks that babies are full grown and just spend the last few weeks laying down fat and to me, how much a baby weighs is more to do with how much fat they have, than how big their head or arms or torso is KWIM? This is all my own thoughts btw, I am no expert in these things! But for example, I am roughly the same height as my sister and I think our heads are probably the same size, but I would easily weigh 20kg more than she does - so if someone just measured us without actually being able to see us, how will they be able to measure the differences in weight?

I see what your saying Bon. I think I would like her to be bigger then smaller. Well I just want a healthy baby, which I know I have. But I wouldn't mind one bit if she came out around the 8lb or bigger mark.
    Its for a silly reason so I wont say why.

Well I think the longer she stays in there, the more likely she is to be around the 8lb mark Whether she is or not I am sure she will be perfect and healthy.

I've heard of people being induced because the baby is 'big' but it's turned out to be a lot smaller. So the weight thing could go either way probably. I reckon being well and truly cooked at 40+ weeks, she could easily be 8lb or more That's just me guessing tho! hehehe.

My cousins baby was measured constantly due to baby appearing to be extremely low in weight, she had multiple scans in the last months & bubs was over 12lb!!!!!

I'm sure she will be perfect Fiona!!!!

I was told with maddy that she'd only just be about 6lb, as i am short & had a ball of a tummy, she was 7lb10
    I was told iNdah was gonna be a big girl & she was 8lb1....???
    Last edited by Tracey; November 1st, 2006 at 01:53 PM. Reason: adding extra...

when i was pregnant i had my like 36 week dr appt an they told me the baby was "normal weight" but when i gave birth she was 9 pound 1. Good luck

How long is a piece of string? It amuses me that they even have a formula to try to work that sort of thing out.

maybe they do it just so they can have a giggle about expecting mothers going home & jumping on forums & asking questions like mine! LOL Maybe its all just a big joke at our expense!

Who knows? probably a joke devised by a man though I reckon. The fact is, we get all worried about the possible size of our babies and there is nothing we can do about it anyway - they still have to come out one way or another LOL.