Thread: Hair colouring during pregnancy

Default Hair colouring during pregnancy

Hi,

Just wondered about getting your hair coloured while you are pregnant.........should you just do a semi-permanent AND should you wait until you are past 12 weeks??? Any comments are appreciated )

Hi! I dont know the answer but i wld love to find out too!

Bleaching or High Lift Tinting your hair on-scalp application I would avoid due to your body producing more heat than normal so you don't want the risk of heating up and irritating the scalp even more than what it does now I would recommend foiling your hair with bleach or high lift rather than on-scalp

Permanent and Semi-Permanent Are completely safe though if you are lightening your hair with the Permanent a few shades I would recommend a test patch acheiving the exact colour you want...

Semi-Permanent is completely safe just make sure that the hairdresser or box you are using is 100% ammonia free they all should be this but you will find a few colours which can be mixed with semi and permanent and contain ammonia...

And also if you are concerned let your hairdresser know before arriving that you are pregnant and are concerned and they will re-assure you or maybe even find another way around your usual colour I have soo many clients who are pregnant at the moment and have had their hair coloured from 6w onwards and ones who were pregnant and just given birth and had no dramas

The only thing not to do is Chemically Straighten your hair or Perm it as your hair produces more heat it will make the hair more brittle and these 2 products contain alot of chemicals and thats even when your breastfeeding you should avoid doing this aswell!!

hope that helps

Ok Im quietly having a minor freak out. I just got my hair coloured today and I didnt really think anything of it.

How many people got their hair coloured during their pregnancies?

I know a woman who never needed HPT's - she was a natural blonde, and whenever she dyed her hair brunette and she was pregnant, it would go purple.

I colour my hair every 3-4 weeks during IVF and pregnancy and not 1 drama at all all my pregnant clients have been colouring there hair also and no problems there! There is no proof colouring your hair will affect the baby in any way! If it does effect it I am sure there would be a law about not colouring pregnant peoples hair!

Keike - Thats soo funny you say that a client of mines hair will through the most weirdest shade of blonde when she is pregnant!!!

There's no law against drinking whilst pregnant either, that doesn't make it safe for the baby.

Hair dye chemicals can cross the placenta, mostly during the first tri. The effects may not be known but that doesn't make it okay. I avoided dying my hair during IVF and pregnancy because my vanity could take the hit. If you're thinking about it, perhaps do some research into it - I recommend The Natural Way to Better Pregnancy by Francesa Naisch.

There are some more natural dyes on the market as well, I think probably at healthfood stores.

I agree with Persephone, I didn't do mine when I was pregnant either.

But on the other side of it - hairdressers have babies who are healthy I am sure and they work with those chemicals every day. But that doesn't make me feel any more comfortable about dying my hair when pregnant.

Sue xx

Brisbane - where it is never like it should be.

Im about to dye mine back dark. I am naturally blonde and i hate it so im going back dark lol.

When I was 12 weeks I got mine done, There is a poisons centre at Monash hospital you can ring to find out about certain things during preg that I rang and they said it was fine so long as you're in a well ventilated area. Foils are safer as the colour in't touching your scalp.