Thread: Has anybody had CVS?

Default Has anybody had CVS?

I am having CVS on monday and was wondering if anyone has had it done? What am i in for? Will i see what is happening? Because i really don't want to see incase i flinch. Watching would make me nervous! Im already really nervous about the whole thing.

I may be dumb here, whats a CVS?

It is a prenatal diagnostic test. Done between 10-12 weeks to tell if the baby has a genetics disorder.
    in short! you have an ultrasound and they put a needle through the abdomen and collect Chorionic Villi ( Has the same cromosomes as the fetus).
    I think that expains it all ( hope that i have not confused you)

in the valley of cuddles with mountains of smiles

Goodluck Katie - I am sure they won't make you see if you don't want too.

Oh ok, I know that as something else, starts with an A......

'A' would be amniocentisis (sp?) its different to CVS though.

Katie -

I haven't had it either but just wanted to wish you good luck with it.

Mel

Hi Katie

I had a CVS when pregnant with DD my NT result came back as 1 : 12.. You will see what is happening, an ultrasound guides the needle ( it is rather long ) into your abdoman and a sample is taken from the placenta for testing.

My DH watched but i turned my head and looked at his face and he comforted me while i tried to be brave. I cried during the test.. i too was so scared,

I was more upset that i was having to have the test done, and i really cant remember being in pain during the procedure, You just need to take it REALLY easy for the next couple of days.

I really hope that you results are good, Hugs to you while you wait for your results, it is such a horrible time.

xoxo Anna

Oh ok, so what is the difference? What are they testing for that is different?

Yeah huni, I had one and it wasn't to bad at all, the needle is long and that's the worst part, the anathetic not the CVI itself, but they do it by ultrasound, I myself didn't watch but DH did, it's done like that so they can see baby and where the needle is going, it's ok, I myself don't mind needles so I was ok, but the anesthetic needle did sting and it was just that a sting when it went in, the CVI needle and instrument is a bit thicker, but your totally numb by then and that didnt hurt at all, HONEST the just get some fluid from the sac and from around baby ok, it's not that bad sweety, the waiting afterwards for the results is the hardest.

Good luck hun. O thinking of you.xxxx

FionaJill - A CVS collects a sample from the placenta done up to 14 weeks 9 I think ) and a Amnio is done after this and collects a sample of amniotic fluid.

Each tests the same thing, just depending on how pregnany you are depends on which tests you are offered.

Ah I see, thats for that.

Also an amnio can test for spina bifida, where an CVS doesn't.