Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Has anyone concieved shortly after birth while breastfeeding.

DH and I made the decision we`d like to TTC #2 shortly after #1 arrived (this was mainly due to our age, DH doesn`t want to be 50 and still having kids LOL and DH also has two boys who are 15 months apart).

I was exclusively breastfeeding Matthew on demand every 1 - 4 hours 24/7, AF arrived at 8 weeks post birth and I conceived when Matthew was 5.5 months, Matthew and Adrian are 15 months apart (Adrian was 2 weeks overdue).

After Adrian arrived again I was exclusively breastfeeding on demand, AF arrived 4.5 months after birth.

OB`s do perfer you to wait until after your 6 week appointment before TTC and it does depend on your recovery post birth as well.

Oooo Mel, that is good news to hear, Juz and I conceived within a month of trying as well fingers crossed it happens like that again.

Dee, sounds like you were quick off the mark too.

My only concern is the weight gain so far this preg (20kg, don't know where though) I really wanted to make the effort to get fit because of the lifestyle changes I have made during this pregnancy. I quit smoking 4 months ago and I feel the need to burn more energy lately too so I am now interested in walking and yoga etc. I want a great bod and lots of babies. I wonder if I can acheive it all...

With my DDs I got AF back a month after I stopped bf (8months and 13 months) Riley is still bf and no sign of AF yet.

Sarah - Some women (like myself) are lucky and brestfeeding = weight loss. I put on 20kg with #1 and by the time I conceived #2 at 5.5 months post birth I had lost 18kg (54kg) with #2 I didn`t put on as much weight (11kg) I put that down to still breastfeeding #1 until I was 37 weeks pregnant and only stopping then as Matthew decided to self wean one day . I`m now down to 52kg and have been for some months, which is well underweight for my height but it`s because I`m breastfeeding (I eat like a horse and don`t exercise), although I have never been a solid person.

Oooo I would love to get to my 16yo size again and be 43kg that may be possible hehe. I would be just as happy to get back to 50kg. I am all sucked up into the yummy mummy ideal even though I said I wouldn't be. In my heart I guess I always knew I would be though. Noah better love the boob!! I feel you with eating like a horse. I eat all the bad stuff too. Well not bad but real homecooked meals done like in the old days. Exercise is something I would like to attempt though :S

Sarah, I don't know where you could have put on 20kg either. I had a sneak peak at your website and you look fantastic. Maybe it's a 20kg bubba only joking, but really you look great, I'm sure you won't have any problems losing the new kg's once bubs is here. I too lost almost all the weight I gained while pregnant with DD, shortly after she was born (except 2kg too), I put it down to BF too.
    Not long for you now, how are you feeling?

Thanks Mel, I can only guess it has gone into the belly bum and thighs, although I have noticed a bit of bat wing arms developing. It sounds like it will all shed soon enough with a combo of BF and exercise. Not long at all indeed, it feels like an eternity away at the same time. I have been doing nearly every trick in the book to get him out of me but nothing is working. He is on his own schedual, typical male

Gracia, With 1st I went over 2 years without Af even though DS was totally weaned at 14 months. (has lost a lot of weight was only 45 kg at the time so this may have been contributing factor also) With 2nd DS AF returned at 11 months still BFuntil 17 months (was pregnant with no 3). With 3rd Ds Bf him until 21 months and AF returned at 24 months. With DD Bf her until 23 months but AF returned at 8 months (she was sleeping throught the night from about 8 weeks I think) 4th DS stillborn so didnt bF at all obviously and got BFP within 5 weeks of birth No AF in between.

Hi, whilst i conceived Bubs #3 when DD#2 was a little older - 10 months, i conceived b4 having a period.....
    Whilst alot of women do conceive whilst b/f a lot of women dont either. I found i was very dry and just not interested in DTD in the first 6 months of my DD life. I suppose its the hormones and natures way of telling you you have a baby to feed....i.e your body isnt in baby making mode.....sure, you hear of women whom have conceived, but i consider them very lucky....thats my opinion anyway. My DD#2 went off her milk too when i found out i was preggers.....i pushed it for another 2 months (mainly for my own sake !!) but like others have said, the taste and supply can change.... GOod luck with everything...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12