Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: haven't been weighed

littlerigger Guest

Default haven't been weighed

As the title says, no one has weighed me, not even once during this pregnancy. I'm just wondering if anyone else has had this and if it's normal?

I was weighed at the first antenatal appointment, and they said they wouldn't be doing it again as it is against there policy. Thats because it has no real relevance, apparently. You could put on 30kg with a pg, but have a small baby and viceversa. Measuring the uterus is a much more accurate indication of baby growing. That said, I weigh myself almost every day at home because I'm worried about putting on more or less than the recommended gain

littlerigger Guest

Thanks guys. I wasn't concerned cause I feel they will weigh me if they're worried but my SIL was horrified I hadn't been weighed.

Snodgrass Guest

Oh that's good to know. My doc didn't weigh me either and I wondered whether it was weird, because she's very au fait with current research etc. Turns out she's doing exactly the right thing

Melb - where my coolness isn't seen as wierdness

All through this pg, I have never been weighed, only had my urine tested once and never had an internal, which is the complete opposite every experience I've had before.

I agree with Shannon, I don't think pg woman should be weighed at all! And it's excellent that you're hearing of more and more women who don't have to worry about that particular practise anymore!

love
    sushee

Kirsty77 Guest

When I was pregnant with Gemma they only weighed me at my booking in appt which by then I was about 16wks. This time my gp hasn't weighed me at all so far and like Shannon has said it can cause anxiety as then you start to freak out aobut how much weight your gaining!I remember them weighing me while I was in the first stage of labour(yep they did it then of all times!)and I was 107kg!I totally freaked out and for hours Corey said thats all I harped on about.When you think about it I was full term and one week overdue and in labour....why the hell did it bother me then I'll never know!

Definitely the whole weighing thing can cause unnecessary stress. I was weighed at my 12 week appointment only and it was awful. The ob told me I was obese (I was 87kg), high risk and the baby would not develop properly! She said I could not do family birth centre and I just cried. We contacted the family birth centre and they did not consider me high risk at all and I had a healthy properly developed baby.

Snodgrass Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Astrid
    Definitely the whole weighing thing can cause unnecessary stress. I was weighed at my 12 week appointment only and it was awful. The ob told me I was obese (I was 87kg), high risk and the baby would not develop properly! She said I could not do family birth centre and I just cried. We contacted the family birth centre and they did not consider me high risk at all and I had a healthy properly developed baby.
    Good grief. I weigh about that too, but I am very muscular and am basically built like the brick proverbial. I have very little fat on me. Even when I was a size 8 I weighed about 70kg because I had big bones and muscles. I'm a 12 now and don't consider myself obese at all!

But my BMI says I'm obese (stupid invention that was )

I'm big boned as well and have previous doctors commented that I look lighter than what I weigh. They really never take build and muscle mass into account in these things at all.

With my first I was weighed at every visit with my OB. One visit He didn't give his fancy scales a chance to actually set on the weight before he walked away. He had a weight that was about 3 kilos less then the visit before and made a big fuss about it & said I was to return ina week to follow up my weight loss. I didn't say anything as being my first i was in the frame of mind of Dr knows best (boy do i know better now!lol). But when we left I went & weighed myself at the chemist on one of the those electronic ones that spits out a docket with the results and took it with me on the next visit. He didn't say anything...

WIth my second I went through the midwife clinic at the hospital & was not once weighed.

This time I haven't been yet but was asked my weight at the booking in appointment. I am doing the midwife clinic again so I doubt I will be weighed this time round either.

The only thing I see as a benifit of keeping an eye on your weight is apparently just before you are due you loose a Kilo so it can be an indiacation of things to come....

sonsangel Guest

With my first pregnancy I was weighed at every single appointment, and did urine tests at 14wk, 28wks and every appt after that. I had BP probs that may have been why. But seemed to me that everyone got weighed and we had a window thingy that we put our samples in before each appt.
    My first internal was once I was sent upstairs to be induced. My GP didn't recommend the pap smear, so I had one at the 6wk appt which ended up being 7wks.
    My OB never did measure the fundas height either he didn't believe in doing that, although my GP always did. Funny how different they can be, will be interesting what they do this time as it's a whole new hospital and GP.

I haven't been weighed or had my urine tested at all.. Was wondering if I should at lest get the urine tested?
    I might ask next week with my next appointment...

I never had my urine tested at all in any pg so far.

Fee Guest

I get weighed and have my urine tested at every appointment with my OB.

I thought weighing would be important. It's not just to comment on how much you've put on but to monitor you - can't a sudden weight gain indicate a problem like preeclampsia?

But yes it does seem like a lot of people don't get weighed - so it's perfectly normal.

Fee Guest

Quote Originally Posted by sonsangel
    My OB never did measure the fundas height
    I haven't had this done yet.

littlerigger Guest

Don't stress about urine Emishka my midwife only tested mine last visit cause I was showing a couple of PE symptoms.

Thanks for all your feedback guys. Really puts my mind at rest!

I haven't been weighed either. Not once. I have been weighing myself for my own reference though.

The OB has only just started measuring my fundal height. Yesterday after he measured it he kind of laughed and said "I don't think this will be a small baby" to which I responded "If you saw my husband you would know that". He looked a little shocked and said "But you're not short yourself".... no and my husband is MUCH taller than me

Fee Guest

Quote Originally Posted by kyliealysha
    Yesterday after he measured it he kind of laughed and said "I don't think this will be a small baby"
    Yeah the sonographer said this to me at the last scan! :shock:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast