Thread: Having the flu and taking medicine

Lee-Ann Guest

Default Having the flu and taking medicine

Hi

Well I've had the flu pretty bad this past month. Anyway I have a very awful cough which is painful and annoying. I went to the chemist and they said it was okay to take Robitussin DM cough suppressant, but I don't know..... I get so iffy about these things, I don't really like taking anything but this cough is causing me so much grief. Has anyone needed to take anything like this before while being pregnant?

angel_eyes Guest

My doctor told me not to take ANYTHING for colds/flu other than panadol.

Are you able to contact your obstetrician & ask him/her?

When I was pg, I got the flu and a virus and took nothing. Used acupressure for the cough and lemon water for the throat. Just had to ride it out till it went through it's course. I didn't take Panadol either while pg but I know it's okay to take.

Hope you feel better soon.

Kirsty77 Guest

Hi Lee-Ann

I am still recovering from the flu at the moment.All I could take was panadol(max 8 a day), and the cough syrup I used was one for diabetics.I don't think there are any others we are allowed to take.I asked the pharmacist and checked with my doc before I bought it though.I also was sucking on strepsils as these are safe for us as long as they are not the extra strength ones.

The cough syrup's name is Duro-Tuss its apricot flavour and is revolting!But it has stopped me coughing in the middle of the night!Your local pharmacist will know exactly what you can and can't take.

I've heard that there's not much we can take for the flu, but should take panadol if getting a fever, as that can harm the baby.

Hope you feel better soon Lee-ann. The flu is rotten even when you CAN take something. Have lots of chicken soup, lots of rest, and keep up your vitamins

I was told by my hospital that the cough syprup is ok once you're past 1st trimester. I just used Vicks vapourub on my chest and under my nose... that stopped my coughing.

Lee-Ann Guest

I phoned another pharmacist and they said that Robitussin is a Category A which is safe during pregnancy, they said I could take Panadeine, as codeine is a cough suppressant as long as it's not taken in large doses. This cough is not only annoying but very painful for my throat. I will contact my doctor this afternoon and see what he says as well just to double check and be on the safe side. I've never taken anything but Panadol and I did have a fever the other day, so I took panadol but in all honesty I don't like the thought of taking anything other than that, but if Robitussin is a Category A alongside Panadol and Panadeine it can't be too bad. I just wish these products had a warning like "don't take at all during pregnancy" etc, but they never say anything like that on the pack, it's so annoying.

Melody Guest

Hi Leanne,

I have had a pretty intense cold/flu for the past four weeks & my Obstetrician says that because my immune system is so down (mainly it concerns itself with the baby now) that I will more than likely have it until after the birth.

My main concern is that my nose is blocked 24/7 & he said that "Otravin" nasal spray is the best bet but only to use it once before bed (I'm no good to anyone if I cant at least get a few hours sleep) I know Panadol is ok & he said I am fine for 6-8 a day but I feel a bit guilty (silly I know) so really only take it as a last resort if i am aching too much (all the coughing hurts my creaky bones & joints) I stuck to butter menthols & soothers for the throat & if my nose gets too bad during the day I do a steam bowl with a drop of vicks under a towel (& always rub Vicks under my nose).

Keep up the fluids & drink lots of Orange Juice. That is my two cents

WHy don't you ring the Dr to be safe. You can just ask over the phone which is nice and cheap!! Also there is a mothers help line of some sort (may be in front of phone book) sorry don't know the name, but I know my friend rang recently to ask about medication during pregnancy. Get well xoxo

i would call your dr just to be sure. i had the flu recently and just took panadol. its pretty awful i know,

hope you are feeling better soon,

Linda