Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hayfever

Default Hayfever

Is there anything you can take fro hayfever while pregnant?

its driving me nuts!! :fuming:

mizzsocial Guest

Proberly best to go and ask the chemist..

sorry im not much help!!

Unfortunately no. Even the herbal remedies say not to take while pg. I had it for 4days once while pg - not a pleasant experience.

DoubleK Guest

i suffer from hayfever really bad

i went to the chemist to ask if i was allowed to take any hayfever tablets, she looked up in some booklet that they are classed as catergory a b and c, she said claratyne (sp?) was the safest to take. i had zyrtec at home, she said that should be ok, but to buy claratyne next time instead.

i only took one tablet, as i was still a little worried about taking anything at all while pg...

Hope this helps!!

rach

I've been taking Claratyne almost daily this pregnancy due to hayfever-type symptoms. Doctor says it's safe. My nose was getting so blocked I was having difficulty sleeping and having sneezing fits so violent that I even leaked :shock: on a few occassions! Time for pelvic floor exercises!

i didn't get hayfever but i did get very stuffy in the nose. The chemist recommended using a saline nasal spray called Fess. As its saline its safe to use and i found it unblocked my nose and sinuses really well.

HTH

I have really bad allergies and my Dr recommended Zadine which does the job but does send me to sleep (so I take it at night). She said that the older anithisthamines which were in Category A (or maybe class A) had been shown to be safe in pregnangy. check with your chemist - they would know exactly

I checked with my chemist when I was pg (had an allergic reaction to oil of olay regenerist) and was told Polaramine is fine for pgcy as it's one fo the older anti histamines which have been proven safe and are catagoryA.

mards Guest

Emma - I wanted to ask the same question because ever since 2DPO I have had really itchy inner ears! It is driving me nuts Anyone had itchy ears?

I had a stuffy nose (oh and blood nose) throughout my pg with DD - think it can be a pg symptom. I also suffer with hayfever. I would recommend the FESS saline and water spray "to be sure, to be sure". But that's just me! (Also good to have some in the house when bubs is born - as you can use it to clear their little noses if they get sick!)

thanx for all the replies i asked my docter and she said rhinocort is safe!!

Hi Mummy

I asked my OB this question on Friday she said Polaramine is fine cause its Category A and Claratyne is ok it is Category B1. No Nasal Sprays are ok unless just salt and water (eg, Fess).

Bel
    xxx

Hi Girls

Bel is correct.

Polaramine is Category A
    Claratyne is Category B1

Rhinocort is also Category A

The reason Claratine and those non drowsy antihistamines (sp?) are category B1 is because they haven't studied the effects long enough because they are a relatively new type of medication. Polaromine is also good when you get a cold!

*hugs*
    Cailin

Can you take polaromine for sinus symptoms? My nose is so stuffy and have been using the FESS spray and taking paracetamol but I have thepain under my eyes along the bones that is normally associated with Sinus?

I thought I'd bump this, because a few of us seem to be suffering from hayfever at the moment (if I go through one more box of tissues in a week I'm cutting off my damn nose!) and I wasn't sure what we preggies could do about it.

Hi all,

Just wondering if Polaramine or claratyne are safe in the third tri? As ive heard your not supposed to take them then... :/ which I don't like as I get BAD hayfever

I heard that too.... not to take them in the 3rd Trimester.
    I can't believe I never knew Rhinocort was Category A!!! I have free samples of that at work!!!! I may finally get some relief! thank goodness.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast