Thread: HCG and Ultrasound (i thought i was 6 weeks but u/s said i'm 4)

Default HCG and Ultrasound (i thought i was 6 weeks but u/s said i'm 4)

Hi,

New to the site and keen to get some advice on what others are and have experienced.

A bit about me, 24, fit, healthy, non-smoker, don't drink. In july last year has a m/c and hcg was 30 at day 33. Sept had another m/c at 5 weeks and hcg went from 30 at day 29, 72 at day 31, then 160 something day 33. m/c the next day!

As Dr's thought there's nothing wrong, went to an OB and found i had a polyp in the uterus. Although he said that wasn't the cause of the m/c. I had it removed dec 3.

I've now found out i am pregnant again, and hopefully 3rd time lucky. i've had a 30 dya period for a while, and in feb, i think i had a second period within 2 weeks after the normal one. I had my hcg levels tested day 34, and the level was 50. had another HCG test done on the 16/3/09, and the level was 425 (day 39).

I had an internal ultrasound done on the 24th (my 2 yr anniversary) and the OB said the pregancy looked like a 4 week pregnancy rather than a 6 week pregnancy.

I guess what I want to know is if anyone has:

1) ever had 2 periods straight away and if this would throw out ovulation to push back my u/s date 2 weeks.
    2) has anyone had the same HCG result and should they really be of concern
    3) i'm spotting really lightly and there's no cramps or anything else. I feel the nuasea in the morning but i'm ok once i have something to eat, my tummy blown up I look the same as my co-worker whose 3 months! and my breat tenderness has decreased from last week.

Hopefully my next u/s on tuesday would look a little more promising. i'm trying to keep positive but its really had, all i keep thinking is about it and want to know everything now.

Thanks.

Congrats on the pregnancy, I don't have any answers to your questions but just wanted to say good luck and i have my fingers crossed everything is okay for you xxx

Hi 3TL,

Early ultrasounds can be out but then so can the cycles. With the second period was it the same length etc as the one 2 weeks earlier I am wondering if it was more implantaion bleeding rather than a period?

A sonograther said to me once that really in terms of things developing the first 2 weeks don't really count for much as the egg has not been released therefore nothing is happening in regards to development, so potentially a 6 week pregnancy is really more like a 4 week pregnancy. Makes logical sense to me.

Unfortunately morning sickness is nothing to go by in terms of a pregnancy's viability.

Have you been back to the Dr considering you are bleeding? Its not necessarily going to mean a MC is imminent but I would still suggest getting it checked out ASAP.

Best of luck
    Nae x

Thanks KimmyF.

I'm really sorry to hear about your losses NaeNae and feel for you. Makes me feel my worries are insignificant compared to what you've gone through. I can see your a strong, level headed person and wish you all the best in the future.

The second period lasted for about a week and was really light, but bright red.

Dr's seem to be no help, everytime i mention spotting it means nothing to them.

Last edited by 3rd time lucky; March 26th, 2009 at 02:56 PM.

3TL,

Tuesday is not too far away, I guess assuming the bleeding is not getting worse and there is no cramping this might just be your bodys way. SOme women bleed right through their pregnancies without any consequence on the developing baby hopefully that will be your story.

Have you considered seeing a different GP? I think when it comes to these situations especially considering your history (2 other pregnancies) by this stage you need to find yourself a GOOD GP someone who you can trust. It doesn't sound like the one you are seeing is very supportive. For women who have had multiple losses it is expected that we become a little neurotic when we are pregnant again and having someone who will support and nurture you through the doubt is so very important.

I am currently playing the waiting game with my 4th pregnancy that is currently a threatening MC (miscarriage) I had some staining a week ago, US (ultrasound) showed a sac and yolk but no foetus. I am waiting on bloods and depending on results will go for another US next friday.

Its a horrible game the waiting game, but its out of our control - survival of the fittest really.

Its very hard to stay positive but hang in there chick we are never given more than we can handle.

Just a little story - the Path Nurse that I love to see had 10 mc in a row at various gestations. They decided to stop trying and adopted and 3 weeks after their adopted baby came home she discovered she was pregnant and had a baby girl. She went on and had 3 other children after that.

There is hope hun so hang on to that if nothing else.

Much Luv

Nae x

fingers crossed that number 4 goes well. how many weeks are you meant to be?

On my U/s we saw a black dot, that was it, so i'm praying tuesday goes well and we see something else. He didn't want to do any more blood tests as he said its no indication of anything, the best thing to do would be another u/s. So Tuesday, here we come.

10 m/c, i really don't know how people do it. I know a lady that m/c 12 times, she spent over 200k on IVF treatments and the Drs told her to give up. So they bought an investment property, new furniture for their existing house, new cars and a world trip ticket. a week later she found out she was pregnant, and now has two really cute boys.

Even with these stories, it helps to think there's a glimpse of hope for all, but its so hard regardless of how many m/c you have before they finally decide to come along.

I hope your friday test goes well. Keep us updated with everything.

Nae Nae reminded me of something that might be relevant. When ageing a pregnancy, some people describe it from LMP and some people describe it from ovulation, so there are 2 scales you can use. Just wonder if your OB and you are using the same scale? If he is saying it looks like a pregnancy 4 weeks from ovulation, then this would be the same as your 6 week estimate from LMP.

might be worth just checking your talking the same scale.

take care,

kate

your Dr doesn't sound very good, seriously hun find someone else.

Blood tests can indicate a lot, if the HCG levels are rising then it IS a good indication that your pregnancy is continuing (blighted ovum excepted). If the HCG levels are falling then it means the pregnancy is no longer viable.

How long ago did you have your last US?

If you were in fact only 4 weeks when you had your US you may not see anything with your next US unless a fair amount of time has passed (usually two- three weeks). Still even then because things are soo small you may still not see anything.

At least having more bloods done you will get some peace knowing the hcg levels are rising.

I can't believe your Dr said such a thing to you, Bloods are the first thing all my Drs have ever ordered first, then depending on the results and only then, do they give me a referral for an US.

Well in any case - lets keep everything crossed for Tuesdays US, hoping so much that you see a little jellybean and HB.

x Nae x

My LMP was 5th of feb. my ultrasound was done on the 24th of March. (6 and 1/2 weeks after last missed period).

My 1st u/s was done this week, and the 2 u/s would be a week apart. So i'm hoping we see a black dot with another white dot in it.

I had the "second' period on the 15th feb and that lasted for around a week. (Therefore the u/s would be right to be 4 weeks if my ovulation was puched back two weeks also, this would also explain my low HCG as i would've found out I was pregant very early, probably about a week or so old.)

I'm going to do another HCG test next week regardless what the OB says. I wanted to wait a couple of weeks inbetween the blood tests as I really want to see a reuslt in the 10,000's. I think that'll put me at ease if i see that.

I know a girl that drinks like anything and smokes too and her hcg was 4000 at day 34 or so. It really upsets me when i try to do everything right and i only get low hcg results compared to others who don't look after themselves.

Good Girl, You gotta stand up sometimes and demand these things.

I really hope that you see something more than your last US, just don't be discouraged if you don't it may still be too early to see anything.

Yeah it sucks doesn't it, but then hcg levels have such a wide varient for each week any rise is good no matter how big it is. Everyone is different and every pregnancy you have will be different too.

You'll be right Just keep holding on to hope x x

yeah i will. I'll keep you all updated. right now i got to get back to work.

Talk to you all next week.

I guess 3rd time not so lucky. Went to the OB just and there was bleeding in the get/sac and no baby. He said its unlikly it will proceed and its most likely going to miscarry. Got home and it started bleeding.

Thanks for all your support and advice. Hopefully I'll be able to report back soon with some good news.

Take care.

Jamana.

Oh Jamana - I'm so sorry.

I'm sending you a big hug and hope to see you back here soon!

Shari xo

Oh Jamana

I am so so sorry hun I was so hard for you.
    Please take good care of yourself. Feel free to pm me if you want to talk at any time

Nae x x