Thread: Head Lice and Pregnant??

Question Head Lice and Pregnant??

Hello, I've just treated DD for headlice (first time ever, I'm a bit freaked out at how many and how hard to see the critters are).

Anyway, it *might* be my imagination, but my scalp is feeling itchy....DH is away (so can't get him to check) and I don't have any near and dear girlfriends to call on in this neck of the woods.

What should I do?? I can't really do a conditioner treatment on myself (how would I see what I'm doing) and I'm not sure about using a chemical treatment either. Can I go to the hairdressers and get them to check for me???

Any ideas????

I do the conditionaer treatment on myself (I do it in the shower)... Do it every day for a week or so and then once a week there after and you should feel better

Tanya

Tanya do you just put the conditioner in and comb it thru? I was combing for > 1 hour with DD's hair (we are a thick haired family) and still finding nits and little baby crawlers towards the end of it. So I'm worried that doing it on myself is not going to be thorough enough? What do you think? BTW I only have shortish hair, that would make it easier??

marydean sux on the headlice working in childcare its something i can say i am pretty used to unfortunately... what i used to do was put the stuff in and using the fine toothed comb i would sit outside and comb them out when u do this u will know if u have them or not as to whether any get stuck in the comb or not (lice can't live for 24hrs away from the scalp so outside i felt was easier then inside and i didn't have to have my head tipped over the bath or something) then i used a headlice shampoo (go a natural one like tea tree or something so u dnt have those nasty chemicals) i did that once a day for say 3 days and they were deffinately gone.. they were all dead after the first time but if u miss an egg in there it can hatch and it starts all over again... as well as that u can get tea tree shampoos that headlice dnt like and u can use them as a preventative... hope this helps

Thanks Tanya and Noni! I actually followed Tanya's advice and put the conditioner thru and it was pretty apparent that I don't actually have any! I must've been having sympathetic itching after seeing all those crawlers in DD's hair! LOL

Noni I had heard of those shampoos, and might get some for DD just over the next couple of weeks. I'm pretty sure she got them when we were in Adel so unless she's passed it on to a few of her little friends I doubt we will have a recurrence. I just want to be thoroughly sure that we catch any of the little blighters that I might have missed, all the info I've read says to repeat the conditioner thing every two days.

Thanks!

That's good to hear Marydean,
    We have thick hair too... but once you ge teh hang of doing it it really doesn't take that long. I had DD#1 do it and she had no troubles. I am sure she would have missed some, but doing it everyday did the trick!

Tanya

I agree Tanya, it's the repetition that does the trick. I've already got a DVD lined up for going over DD's head again this afternoon!

LOL Marydean, I had the same thing happen this week. DS came home with them, his whole class has them apparently. My head went from being not itchy at all, to really really itchy all the time. I'm so paranoid I have them! I can actually7 feel things crawling in my hair. I have had DP check it over and over, and I even went to the hairdressors on Friday and had them check as well, there is zero there, but I still 'feel' them. It's all phsycological. I can remember when DD had them a few years ago, I did the same thing.

I'm redoing DS's hair today and I'm sure the itchiness will all start again, although from looking he's pretty much all clear I think, but I'm doing the weekly thing JIC.

Oh Marydean that is so completely poo-on-toast that you've had to go through that!! I know that my time will come and that'd be right too - us Adelaidians passing on feral little buggy creatures!!!!!!!! On behalf of us......so so sorry!!

Ooh! My head is itching just reading this!!

Yikes MD thats no good at all !
    I know that if anyone even mentions lice my head itches so im not surprised you got that feeling.
    I am not looking forward to the day that i have to deal with those little things !
    Talk to you soon !

I did another pass through DD's hair today with an aromatherapy lotion and a better nit comb and only found about 6 little eggs and no live ones so I think we've probably got the suckers beat!

LOL Charlyfrog, but on the good side Adelaide is responsible for Haighs chocolate too so I think on the balance it's still a great place to be LOL!

Thanks Jane, I've been a bit tied up with my nit-combing regime, might chat later in the week! xxx

my head is itchy just from reading this LOL!

I got lice from my niece when i was 37 weeks pregnant and rang the chemist and they reccomend the conditioner only....i was advised not to use any type of lice treatment.
    My sister did it for me with conditioner and she also has a little electric comb thingy called a Robi-Comb it uses a electric current to zap them or something so you dont have to worry about all the other stuff. We did a run through with the conditioner and the robi-comb and that was it no more treatments after that!!

now MY head is itchy!!!

Here's a tip - my sister's girls used to get cooties on the odd occasion, we took to them with hair straighteners - something along the lines of a GHD or any that will get up around 200 degrees. It knocked them out - make sure you get as close to the scalp as possible.....of course you've got to wash sheets etc...but using that every now and again seems to have stopped the occurrences!!

What a great idea, with the hair straighteners - that'd be especially good for long hair, I imagine!

Oh I feel itchy now too.
    Don't forget as well has washing sheets etc, you need to do something with favourite toys. Like dolls and things, if you can't wash them and dry them in high heats you need to seal them in plastic for like a couple of days incase there is any live lice and any eggs waiting to hatch. Even though the lice can only survive 24 hours, you have to wait for any eggs to hatch then wait an additional 24 hours.

At the very least with the hair straighteners...it's less messy and the kids come out looking spesh!