Thread: Headache relief during pregnancy

Unhappy Headache relief during pregnancy

Before becomging pg i used to suffer severe headaches. Then i was able to take strong relief but now my GP wont allow it (for good reasons). I was allowed Panadol and that was all. But its like lollies to me, never works. Last check up he said i could take some panadeine but still, NO LUCK!

Does any one have any other forms of relief they find works??

I drink plenty of fluids, rest and dont over do any thing.

You can also take Pandine Forte. I too am a strong headache sufferer and had a 5 day migraine a few weeks backs. Midwife said if it happens again to get a a script for Panadine Forte. They don't like to recommend it, but it can be taken.

Pandol doesn't work for me either, and during migraine i was popping panadine every 4 hours for 4 days.

Love

Can you try to wrap something tight around your head? REALLY tight. This sometimes works for me - its the counterpressure.

I'm a migraine sufferer and used to use mersyndol pre-preg. Since then, I've used the head wrap too - with a stretchy bandage - plus peppermint tea and sometimes a wheat bag on my shoulders/neck if it seems the pain is being triggered from there. If heat doesn't seem right for your type of headache, I've also used my 'cold' wheat bag - a calico bag that has peppermint as well as the wheat and that livesin the freezer. Nice and soothing on a throbbing head (not neck muscles). Good luck!

Pressure points work well for me - but you have to start when you feel it coming on. When I feel I'm getting a rotten one (for me they're caused by stress or not enough sleep, so not sure if this will help you if you're good in those areas) I have a cup of tea, take two panadol and go and lie down in a quiet, dim room. After an hour it tends to go away, even if I don't get sleep.

Hope this improves for you soon...

I just try to stay off meds anyway even though I'm not preggers yet and have had great success with alternating hot and cold packs on my temples and back of my neck, a dark room and a liedown and pressure points. I get some awful headaches (probably can't call them migraines) and that's been good for me in the past.

It's good to hear that you're staying hydrated. That's one of my biggest triggers.

Just out of curiosity, are you allowed to take Mersyndol while pregnant? I had a migraine last week and had run out of forte, so my MIL who was looking after me at the time, gave me some Mersyndol, but now I'm not sure that I should have taken it.