Thread: healthy eating = weight loss - is it ok

clare076 Guest

Default healthy eating = weight loss - is it ok

I know you aren't supposed to diet while pregnant, and believe me that is not what I am trying to do. But since falling pregnant I have been eating some pretty yucky foods to try combat m/s (hot chips, loads of carbs etc) Well now the m/s has eased off and over the last week I have been back to my normal healthy eating but I have found that I lost 2 kgs in a week!

My normal day is
    3 weetbix with skim milk and fruit for brekkie.
    Fruit or museli bar for morning tea
    Sandwich and salad or leftovers for lunch with fruit
    Fruit and yoghurt for afternoon tea
    Cooked meal with plenty of vegies for dinner
    Fruit and cruskits or jam sandwich for supper.

The only thing I can think of doing differently is having full cream milk and yoghurt but then I know I wont eat it because I hate the taste. (I don't like cheese)

If you go from eating high calorie / fat foods to eating healthy you are bound to loose a bit of weight aren't you? I couldn't possible eat any more, there is no room! Do you think it's ok to eat like this and poosibly loose a bit of weight, rather than continue eating crap?

surely eating healthier is better for the baby i would think... i mean i am not sure if what ur having is enough, too much, not enough but i would think that the healthier food has gotta be better then the crap lol?? i hope someone else can be a bit more helpful

I think what you are eating sounds fine. I dont think I even put on any weight at all until I was about 20 weeks pregnant, and I was trying to eat healthy foods, but I wasnt eating heaps - I was just eating what I needed to eat when I was hungry.

Pregnancy diets should include an extra 600kJ - which is an extra dairy and meat serve per day. If you're not eating crap, then you could be losing weight - a couple of ladies at work lost weight while pregnant as they stopped eating all the crap and were eating healthily!

I went on a very healthy diet while pregnant - also went on a preservative free diet (no preservatives, artificial colors, etc) and thus I consistently lost weight off and on throughout my pregnancy until more towards the end. The doctor just advised me to drink light white milk (I can't stand full cream) and full fat cheese and such and enjoy it!

To me it sounds like your doing just the right thing. it's aoggd healthy diet you have. If your worried you could increase by a weet bix and increase your salad and vegie serving sizes. Don't forget all those bad foods were full of salt and you would have been retaining water. Now that you have de-toxed your system you are bound to loose some weight in water alone.
    I say don't wory, and if you are go see your care provider and check if your bubs is on track for size and development.

Clare
    Your weight loss is fine. All the crap you were eating will have a high salt content and high in carbs and fat. Salt causes your body to retain water. And we all know about carbs and fat. For every litre of water you retain to also put on 1kg in weight. Things should start to settle down over the next week or two

clare076 Guest

PHEW! Thanks everyone.
    I was getting a bit worried that I wasn't eating enough but I honestly cant put another morsel in my mouth. I feel so much healthier when I am not eating the crap as well so I would definately like to continue. I assumed the weight loss would just plateau eventually but I also didn't want to get in trouble for losing weight.

Thanks again

It sounds fine to me too.
    I had GD with both of my pregnancies which means I was on a really healthy diet - from 28 weeks with my first and from quite a bit earlier with my second. I gained 12kg with my daughter and 9kg with my son (who weighed 8lb born). I didn't start gaining with either of them until around 20 weeks.
    Much better that you're eating healthy than gaining weight at this stage.

Hi Clare

I am seeing a dietician this PG to try and keep my weight down and prevent gestational diabetes. I too am eating healthy and since the start of PG I have lost a tiny bit of weight where I would have expected to have gained a kilo or so by now (and I'm eating a lot more each day than you, by the looks of it!). But my dietician assures me it's all about quality and not quantity and apparently some women naturally lose weight in PG due to the metabolism increase. Just make sure you are eating enough for your hunger and include some high quality protein and an extra serve of dairy each day.