Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heartburn relief?

Default Heartburn relief?

So it's been coming and going through the whole pregnancy, and I've mostly been able to manage it by taking care with what i eat and when, and how I hold my body.
    But that's not working any more, and last night I was up for two hours, with a truly burning sensation in my throat that nothing could relieve, unable to lie down even slightly.

So... what remedies did you use? What did you love? What's safe, what's super-safe, and what's not worth it?

All suggestions welcome!

Think I've told you before about Slippery Elm? Found where ever you buy vitamins etc. Worked wonders for me!
    I would take these before eating I think, I would also use extra pillows in bed. More under my shoulders and not just under my head if that makes sense!
    Other than that, milk with every meal, would keep some beside the bed and have little sips through the night.

Hope you find something that works!

Fruit tingles!! (The lolly, not the alcoholic drink haha)

Always worked a treat with mine

All the ladies in my preg swimming class used to rave about Tums....... didn't try them myself so can't say. I think they could get them in Woolies?

Quote Originally Posted by CheezelMonster View Post
    Think I've told you before about Slippery Elm? Found where ever you buy vitamins etc. Worked wonders for me!
    I would take these before eating I think, I would also use extra pillows in bed. More under my shoulders and not just under my head if that makes sense!
    Other than that, milk with every meal, would keep some beside the bed and have little sips through the night.
    Already doing it all, except the milk at night. Need to step it up a notch - seems I have a very active acidic tummy!

Arimel - will defs try the fruit tingles. Have had a slight Lifesaver obsession this pregnancy anyway, so sounds like a winner!

Hmmm...maybe eliminating some acidic foods if you haven't already? Sticking to bland foods and see if that makes any difference?
    Really feel for you mate, but as soon as The Thinker is out it will all disappear!

You can use milanta, quickeze and those sorts of things which you acn get at the chemist or supermarket. I need to start using zantac through the latter stages of pg when my reflux and heartburn gets pretty bad. You can get it over the counter and I have ben told by two GP's it is a safe medication in pg.

I used to use the rennies.

I bought a wedge pillow to prop myself up at night. I was exxy and took up a fair bit of space, but it helped a lot. I couldn't lie flat at all, even on my side.

I was taking something my naturopath gave me, but when it got serious in the 3rd trimester, I took Gaviscon. It helped.

I have had an awful awful time with it and major attacks and the only thing thats taking the edge off is 24hour zantac my ob and gp have both recommended it to me and its honestly a lifesaver I take a zantac suck on fruit tingles then it works!

I had ridiculous heartburn right at the end of my pregnancy and I'd tried rennie's and quick eze, but one night having both of those didn't work. I was getting desperate cos I'd had it for 4 hours and I tried some chewing gum... by the time the flavour had gone out of the chewy the heartburn had gone! It wasn't a fluke either, because it's always worked for me ever since! hope you get some relief soon!

Quote Originally Posted by Onyx View Post
    I used to use the rennies.

I to used the rennies like they were going out of fashion. Those and propping myself up on multiple pillows. Good luck with it, it is terrible to have

I don't have a wedge pillow, but I do have an artfully constructed pillow mountain. I make the bed around it and it looks really silly, and poor DH is afraid to touch it lest he incur my wrath. And it does help, a lot. It's got me this far without using meds.

I had heartburn from avocado on toast this morning, so bland foods aren't even doing the trick. I was very refluxy as a kid, a real Spewy Louie, so it's not really surprising.

I've gone for Gaviscon, and will see how it goes. Haven't found any fruit tingles yet though - will try the servo in the afternoon.

Thanks for all your replies!

I got horrible heart burn in the last trimester too only when I was hungry though, used to call it the hungry heart burn.

I used gaviscon, it was the only thing that helped me.

Sue x

Rennies or quickeze have been working for me.

I was a Mylanta addict - would get up in the night and swig direct from the bottle it was that bad Worked a treat, and had the little Gaviscon tabs in my handbag but they taste like puke - the Andrews ones are much better!

Zantac...but it made me cranky...tumms and Heaven told me accupuncture cured hers? I will be trying that next time...I wold heartburn from a glass of water x

I'm another who suffered terribly with heartburn when pregnant and swear by fruit tingles..I was also on Zantac from very early on with DS but found the fruit tingles helped during the time between taking the Zantac. I couldn't stand the chalkyness of rennie or quickeze or the like. I hope you find something that helps you

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast